Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th October 2010, 02:32 AM
1PW1PW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
F14 Updates...

Wow! I think I saw hundreds of F14 updates this week!
Old 10th October 2010, 03:46 AM
GoinEasy9 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F14 Updates...

It's a beta boobie what'dya expect?
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE
Old 10th October 2010, 03:51 AM
tox

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinEasy9 View Post
It's a beta boobie what'dya expect?
doesnt matter if its a beta or not, there's always a lot of updates what i dont understand is why people just dont update there machine every day, it cuts the download amount down an time.
Old 10th October 2010, 08:51 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I guess, but haven't verified, you will be seeing more updates if you update on a daily basis than if you update once a week, since some applications change more than once per week. If you update once per week you will have to download these programs only once.
Anyways, I think if someone runs Fedora, he or she should think in advance about downloads.
Old 10th October 2010, 08:55 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
I guess, but haven't verified, you will be seeing more updates if you update on a daily basis than if you update once a week, since some applications change more than once per week. If you update once per week you will have to download these programs only once.
Anyways, I think if someone runs Fedora, he or she should think in advance about downloads.
not just Fedora, any Linux OS, there are heaps of updates, and not a lot of people can affors to have such a Huge download bandwidth
Old 10th October 2010, 09:14 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
not just Fedora, any Linux OS, there are heaps of updates
I had openSUSE 11.3 running running for some time and I was surprised that there were so infrequent updates. The downside is that you will only get security updates, but not new versions of programs. I guess the same is true for distros like Debian (stable), CentOS and other stable distros.
Old 10th October 2010, 09:27 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
I had openSUSE 11.3 running running for some time and I was surprised that there were so infrequent updates. The downside is that you will only get security updates, but not new versions of programs. I guess the same is true for distros like Debian (stable), CentOS and other stable distros.
to have a stable OS you really only need Security Updates, Not New Versions which can bring more issues than fix's
Old 10th October 2010, 09:37 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I can only partially agree on that. Thats certainly true for a server or business environment, but what about others?

I once tried PCLinuxOS on a very old ThinkPad X31 and at the moment they have Xorg 1.6.5 available. I quickly found that the desktop environment (I tried also the low resource XFCE and LXDE) would run very slow (scrolling) and that the machine would run hot. With F14 on that same machine I didn't see that problems.

My point is that new versions not only fix security issues but also bring new and enhanced features. But I agree with you that new versions can also bring new problems.
Old 10th October 2010, 10:55 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

Quote:
I can only partially agree on that. Thats certainly true for a server or business environment, but what about others?

I once tried PCLinuxOS on a very old ThinkPad X31 and at the moment they have Xorg 1.6.5 available. I quickly found that the desktop environment (I tried also the low resource XFCE and LXDE) would run very slow (scrolling) and that the machine would run hot. With F14 on that same machine I didn't see that problems.

My point is that new versions not only fix security issues but also bring new and enhanced features. But I agree with you that new versions can also bring new problems.
others?. most certianly all you need is just Security Updates not new versions of a Program. i go back to Redhat8 and 9 when is all you got was Security updates. all new versions of Programs bring is continuous security issues. sure people love having new updated Programs but if they get hacked by that Program cause its security ridden then thats there fault. its like for example why Fedora wil not push a 2.6.36-0 kernel into F14 once that kernel has gone stable by kernel.org. Fedora will wait till its atleast at 2.6.36-4 till they push it into F14 updates
Old 10th October 2010, 04:30 PM
GoinEasy9 Offline

linuxchrome

Geez guys, have you seem the new updates policy? Sounds to me like less updates are on the horizon.
Registered Linux User #348347
Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE

Tags
f14, updates