axel Offline

linuxfirefox
Question about a makefile

I have a makefile like this:

Code:
ALL_FILES = $(DIR)*.txt

target: $(ALL_FILES)
        command -o $@
If I run make the makefile checks all the txt files in $(DIR) and if it finds a file with timestamp newer than target it executes the command. If I add a new txt file in $(DIR) make runs the command and does the compile. However if I remove a txt file from $(DIR) there is no file with timestamp newer than target and therefore make won't do the compile. Is there a way to make it run when I delete a txt file from $(DIR)?
Old 8th October 2010, 02:42 PM
stevea Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Question about a makefile

That's a difficult requirement. Common makefile dependency rules can only compare dates on files that exist with those of target objects.

When you delete a file the modification date of the directory changes, and that could be used by putting the diretory onto the dependency list BUT that directory may change for other reasons - like if the results from 'command' are written there.

You could make a script to update a 'MANIFEST' file (say the ouptut of "ls -1', create a copy in /tmp/MANIFEST, diff with $DIR/MANIFEST, copy if they differ) but only update the MANIFEST if it changes. Adding $(DIR)/MANIFEST to the dependency list would cause the command to be executed whenever MANIFEST is updated.
Old 10th October 2010, 11:42 AM
axel Offline

linuxchrome

Hi stevea, thanks for your reply.

My first thought was indeed to use the timestamp of the directory but as you also mention it could change for another reason as well.

The next solution I thought of was using an extra file like your MANIFEST. I asked here just in case there was another solution available since a user who adds or removes a file in $(DIR) should know the existence of MANIFEST.

It seems there is no other way to do it though. Thanks for your time.
Old 10th October 2010, 01:58 PM
SaGS Offline

windows_xp_2003opera

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
…a user who adds or removes a file in $(DIR) should know the existence of MANIFEST…
No, users don’t kneed to know of the manifest file (= don’t need to update it themselves). Just apply stevea’s solution as follows:
Code:
ALL_FILES = $(DIR)*.txt

all : checkmanifest target

checkmanifest :
        ... create MANIFEST if it does not exist
    OR  ... update it if the list of files changed
    OR  ... do nothing if MANIFEST exists and the list of files didn’t change

target : MANIFEST $(ALL_FILES)
        command -o $@
(and you’ll make the all target, and not the target target (!), of course).
Old 10th October 2010, 02:04 PM
axel Offline

linuxchrome

SaGS, I've already tried what you written in the above post. This makefile is part of a larger project and is executed through some other makefile. My problem was that I couldn't correctly call make all from the other makefiles and although the compile of this makefile was completed successfully and just like I wanted I couldn't make the rest of the compile to be completed.

I'll check it tomorrow again though. Thanks.
Old 10th October 2010, 02:09 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

What is usually done is to implement a "clean" target. The command for this target
usually just deletes things that can be derived.

This can be done before updating DIR.

In the makefiles I usually use, I am generating object files and executables.

A make clean then just removes all object files (*.o), This works as all derived
files have extensions of .o

If I want to also remove the executables, then I put a "realclean" target that
also removes the executables - which can be in a list.
Old 10th October 2010, 02:12 PM
axel Offline

linuxchrome

jpollard I know that make clean would solve the problem but if I recompile that object a lot of other object files will need to be recompiled. And I don't want that... Recompile should occur only if a file is deleted/added in the directory. Thanks though.
Old 10th October 2010, 02:23 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

One other technique I have seen in makefiles is something like:
Code:
target: ...
       for i in *.whatever; do
       done
Usually this is in a top level make file though.

You don't usually need to recompile just because a file was removed (unless that file
is an object file). Deleting source files can leave dangling object files, but a make
clean (before final integration build test) usually sufficient.

Normally, a manifest doesn't include such files anyway. If you delete a source file
you CAN get complex with using ls -C1 *.o, ls -C1 *.src, strip off the suffix and match
source to objects. Any left over object files are deleted. But event that doesn't necessarily
remove the object file - it may exist in a project library. Deleting from a library is
possible, but it leaves the library file in a bit of a fragmented form, and if you are
creating shared libraries, the only way to remove it is to rebuild the shared library.

But this is usually more effort than it is worth to try and remove single intermediate
files. It's just easier (and usually faster) to just make clean, make. Besides testing
that all files required are present.

In the projects I've worked with (Kerberos, X, GCC, Perl...) there are always some
files that are not involved with creating the application. These are usually readme(s)
documentation files, todo lists, suggestions, goals, plans... Nothing to do with
the program as far as make goes, but are important with keeping track of the project
or subproject.

Last edited by jpollard; 10th October 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11th October 2010, 03:03 PM
axel Offline

linuxfirefox

Here is something else I've tried. make target.cpp produces a cpp file which contains among others a list of the files inside files directory. So I thought to compare those file names with the ones that currently exist in the directory. If there is a difference I remove target.cpp and I expect $target.cpp: $(wildcard $(ALL_FILES)) to rebuild it. However I ended up with an infinite loop in the make process. Any ideas about that?

Code:
$ cat target.cpp
files/file1.txt
files/file2.txt
files/file2.txt
Code:
check_files_cmd = \
grep "files/" files/target.cpp > z1.txt; \
ls -1 files/*.txt > z2.txt; \
if [ -f files/target.cpp ]; then if [ "cmp z1.txt z2.txt" ]; then rm -f files/target.cpp; fi; fi
$(shell $(check_files_cmd))

$target.cpp: $(wildcard $(ALL_FILES))
        command -o $@

Tags
makefile, question