Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th October 2010, 12:05 AM
Tony_Harrison Offline

linuxchrome
GConf warning when starting LibreOffice3.3

Please see my post at LibreOfficeForum.org.
The gist of my problem is, when I run libreoffice from the terminal as root, I get
Code:
GConf warning: failure listing pairs in `/desktop/gnome/interface': Failed to contact 
configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking 
for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. 
See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection 
to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send 
a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the 
network connection was broken.)
over and over for about 7 time and then
Code:
/opt/libreoffice3/program/soffice: line 125:  5187 Aborted (core dumped) "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
I've found several post referring to this error message, but the one's that were resolved, tended to include a reinstall, reboot and mysterious magic fairies fixing the problem.
If anyone knows where I can get some of these fairies, or better yet how to resolve the solution command-line style, I'd much appreciate it.
Old 9th October 2010, 05:24 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: GConf warning when starting LibreOffice3.3

Cannot provide any useful information but wanted to let you know, that this issue is also discussed in the LibreOffice forum:

http://libreofficeforum.org/node/29
Old 9th October 2010, 08:36 PM
Tony_Harrison Offline

linuxchrome

Yeah, that's my post. Thanks for looking though.
Old 9th October 2010, 09:46 PM
sonoran Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Haven't tried LibreOffice yet, but the last OpenOffice runs fine from a terminal as root. One thing that seems to matter here is how you become root. For some programs, like gedit, using sudo or su -c will fail to run the program, while a login to the terminal with su - works. Have you tried that?
Old 10th October 2010, 02:53 AM
Tony_Harrison Offline

linuxchrome

If I am a normal user and I run libreoffice, I receive this:
Code:
/opt/libreoffice3/program/soffice: line 125:  5187 Aborted (core dumped) "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
However, if I happen to be root it gives me a much more verbose error, as show in the original post, but it still concludes with the core dump. I suspect this is only due to the permissions allotted root. The same verbose error occurs, I imagine, even when I run libreoffice as user, it is just not printed to the screen.

Tags
gconf, libreoffice