Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th October 2010, 06:45 PM
SkyHiRider Offline

linuxchrome
Black screen after F13 live boot

Booting live i686 F13 from usb created by the latest unetbootin. Grub loads fine, select the boot live option, system starts to boot the images. Loads the splash screen fine, I can see the F13 logo filling up during the time it takes the system to load. When the logo fills, the system launches, I can see a black screen and the mouse, I can move the mouse too. When I wait a long time the mouse icon starts lagging until it finally takes a dead stop. Nothing happens after that.

TLD:title
Read a bunch of topic about this in older Fedora releases and in other Linux distros too, but failed to find a simple fix. I'm open to suggestions.

Or if anyone could post what do I need to put into grub to launch the installation straight away, ideally in a no gfx mode, that would help too as I just want to install F13 atm.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:39 PM
otnateos Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Black screen after F13 live boot

try to add nohz=off in your kernel argument. that fixed my problem

Fedora 13 x86_64 - Q6600 6G RAM HD2600Pro ST31500341AS (RAID0)
Old 7th October 2010, 11:10 PM
Gödel Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

also try 'nomodeset' boot option (press tab at live boot menu)

if these options don't work, you can use '3' to boot to a basic text console
Old 8th October 2010, 09:11 AM
SkyHiRider Offline

linuxchrome

nohz=off didn't work for me sadly

nomodeset showed the small loading line that Fedora used to have when booting but it got stuck at the last part, I can type text at the stuck loading line and it will input it but it does not seem to do anything.

Isn't there a boot option that will just launch a standard installer straight away from the live media? I made it run from the netinstall but it failed in locating an image. An automated install process that I just need to fill the usual install details in would be nice.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:03 PM
Gödel Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

boot option 'liveinst' will launch the installer straight from boot, or 'textinst' for a text install
Old 12th October 2010, 03:29 PM
SkyHiRider Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for the help.

I managed to run the live usb on a different pc and installed it there. Guess it was something with that specific pc that was faulty, but didn't have time to look it up more so I took the lazy option.

Tags
black, boot, f13, live, screen