FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wireless Networks : device not ready (firmware missing) on Fedora 13

I have "Dell inspiron 1525" & fedora 13
    My wifi is not working .
    and msg "device not ready (firmware missing)" is displayed in "Wireless Networks"

I have installed
    1)iwl3945-firmware - for Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 A/B/G network adaptors
    2)iwl1000-firmware - for Intel® PRO/Wireless 1000 B/G/N network adaptor
    3)b43-openfwwf - for some Broadcom 43xx series WLAN chip
    4)b43-fwcutter - firmware extraction tool for Broadcom wireless driver
    5)linux-firmware - firmware files used by the Linux kerne

What other packages i need to install or
    What to do something else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Wireless Networks : device not ready (firmware missing) on Fedora 13

Before you do anything further, I recommend that you take a moment to confirm for the record what chipset is being used by your wireless adapter. Dells often use Broadcom chipsets in their internal wireless cards. And the adapter is very likely using the PCI bus. So this might answer the question...
    Code:
    lspci
    Run that terminal command and copy the result into your next post. Someone may recognize a wireless chipset and have a suggestion for your next step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

output is
    >$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    02:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    02:09.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    02:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    02:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
    0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    Last edited by abhics1; 7th October 2010 at 07:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abhics1

I have installed
    1)iwl3945-firmware - for Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 A/B/G network adaptors
    2)iwl1000-firmware - for Intel® PRO/Wireless 1000 B/G/N network adaptor
    3)b43-openfwwf - for some Broadcom 43xx series WLAN chip
    4)b43-fwcutter - firmware extraction tool for Broadcom wireless driver
    5)linux-firmware - firmware files used by the Linux kerne

0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    The Broadcom BCM4312 wireless chipset is well-known around here. As you may know, some versions of it work with the b43 driver included with Fedora kernels. But the b43 driver requires firmware. As you noted, you have installed the b43-openfwwf firmware package. But the OpenFWWF firmware does not currently claim to work with the BCM4312, and I guess you just confirmed that once again. The b43-fwcutter package that you mentioned is intended for extracting firmware from a proprietary Broadcom driver source object file. And that might work. However, instead of telling you how to do that, I recommend that you install the so-called broadcom-wl driver because all versions of BCM4312 work with it. Therefore, your chance of success with it is better than with b43. And of course, that Intel firmware that you mentioned is irrelevant.

If your computer can connect to the Internet with a wire connection while running Fedora, then run these terminal commands to install the driver...
    Code:
    su
    yum install akmod-wl
    Next, reboot and check the NetworkManager panel applet icon for available networks (left-click the icon). Try to connect.

But if you cannot connect to the Internet in Fedora, then you still can install the driver manually after you download some files from RPM Fusion. First, return and report the results of this to identify your running kernel...
    Code:
    uname -r
    After that, I or someone will tell you exactly which three files to download and how to install them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the output

[root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]# yum install akmod-wl
    Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
    Setting up Install Process
    No package akmod-wl available.
    Error: Nothing to do
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]# uname -r
    2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]# yum update
    Setting up Update Process
    No Packages marked for Update
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]# yum install akmod-wl
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]# yum install kmod-wl
    No package kmod-wl available.
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]#

I download package "kmod-wl-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.5.i686.rpm"
    I get error during installation
    could not do simulate: kmod-wl-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.5.i686 requires wl-kmod-common >= 5.60.48.36

I download package "akmod-wl-5.60.48.36-2.fc13.i686.rpm"
    I get error during installation
    could not do simulate: akmod-wl-5.60.48.36-2.fc13.i686 requires wl-kmod-common >= 5.60.48.36

now ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to tell you to install the RPM Fusion repos. Sorry. The following terminal commands will install the RPM Fusion Free and Nonfree repos. After that, the yum install akmod-wl command will work.
    Code:
    su
    yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm 
    yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
    Forget about the other stuff in your last post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now i m able to install "akmod-wl" as you told
    But now still wifi is not working, and also "Wireless Networks" option is not available in "NetworkManager panel applet icon"

Now ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been three days so you probably already did this, but I have to say it anyway. Reboot. You need to reboot or rebuild the akmod for it to create the kmods for the kernel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not working after Reboot.
    I uninstall & reinstall "akmod-wl" but it is not working.
    and "Wireless Networks" option is not available in "NetworkManager panel applet icon".

yum install akmod-wl
    Package akmod-wl-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.5.i686 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then try manually loading the wl module...
    Code:
    su
    modprobe wl
    Give NetworkManager several seconds to get going and check it again for available networks. If that worked, then add that modprobe command to /etc/rc.local. Some people have to do that to make the module automatically.

If it still did not work, then you need to stop for a moment and confirm what packages have been installed. It's not unheard of for a messy mix of kernel dependencies to be installed in these kmod dilemmas. This will answer that question...
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep -e kernel -e broadcom-wl -e kmod-wl | sort
    Publish the results of that in your next post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

output
    .................................................. ......................................
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]# modprobe wl
    FATAL: Module wl not found.
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]# rpm -qa | grep -e kernel -e broadcom-wl -e kmod-wl | sort
    abrt-addon-kerneloops-1.1.13-2.fc13.i686
    akmod-wl-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.5.i686
    broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-1.fc13.noarch
    kernel-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686
    kernel-2.6.34.7-56.fc13.i686
    kernel-devel-2.6.34.7-56.fc13.i686
    kernel-headers-2.6.34.7-56.fc13.i686
    [root@abhimanyu-PC abhimanyu]#
    .................................................. .........................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, no kmods. All I can think of is this. You have two kernels (i.e, the original kernel and the latest kernel). But you have kernel-devel only for the latest kernel. Maybe you are still booting into the original kernel like you were back in post #5. It's at least a possible explanation. So either boot into the kernel for which you have the kernel-devel package installed, or install kernel-devel for the one that doesn't have it.

P.S: Look, you also can try the kmod version if you want. There are certain advantages to using the akmod version though. But the akmod version is difficult to install while offline compared to the kmod version, IMO. So when someone has a wire connection to the Internet to do the yum commands, I usually recommend the akmod version. And it's normally easy and uncomplicated to install. Especially for a BCM4312 chipset which is very common and usually simple to get going in Fedora. The kmod version is simpler to do while offline, so I recommend it in that situation. But of course, it also can be done while connected to the Internet by wire. No offense, but I think you're doing some basic thing wrong here. The akmod version should be working by now. But feel free to veer into the knod version. It will do no harm and who knows, you may hit the target with that. Either way. For your i686 kernel...
    Code:
    su
    yum install kmod-wl