Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th September 2010, 11:25 AM
DrTrigon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Exclamation F13 64 - broadcom - WLAN: no WPA connection possible

Hello all!

I got a new DELL studio notebook with broadcom wireless card. I installed F13 64 and most of the things are working well... Cool piece of software!

But now I have to connect by wireless to WPA enabled networks (at my home and at the university) but this is not possible. In gnome I set-up NetworkManager and the connection, but everytime I choose to connect, it tries for a while, then ask me the password again and again since he is not able to connect and assumes the password is wrong. But with another Laptop here (running ubuntu) this is no problem...!

Please can anyone here help me out! I really need this connection...

Thanks a lot in advance and greetings
DrTrigon
Old 30th September 2010, 05:42 PM
magnusk Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F13 64 - broadcom - WLAN: no WPA connection possible

If you have a Broadcom wireless card you probarbly have to install kmod-wl, kmod-wl-PAE or akmod-wl from the RPM Fusion repo. Take a look here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=239922.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:59 PM
DrTrigon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thank for the reply!

Sorry that I was unclear about this; I DO NOT have problems with the hardware - at least this is what I guess. The broadcom card is recognized by the NetworkManager and is reported as working, because kmod-wl and akmod-wl etc. are installed already (I do use the x86_64 kernel, not PAE)

I have problems CONNECTING BY WPA. The connection to any access point (at home and e.g. at my university) does not work. With my old notebook (using f13 i686) and other wireless hardware it worked. Also with an other notebook running ubuntu it still works. But with my new notebook (DELL studio) it DOES NOT work TO CONNECT to WPA access point. I've tested it on ubuntu also yesterday with the same result. It CAN USE the hardware, but fails to establish a connection...

I've found other threads issueing this, but most of them are from 2008 or even older and concern only fedora releases up to f12... So I'm am running out of ideas.... (may be I've have to use other 'strange' configs like ndiswrapper or else, but I prefer to use NetworkManager, if there is any chance...
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:25 PM
DrTrigon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

This issues seams to have disappeared. Now I can connect w/o any problems, which is great!

Not that great is not to know what the problem was since I am not aware of any update nor config change.

Thanks for the help anyway!
Greetings!
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:20 PM
seaoss Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

sometimes the modem you are trying to connect to can play up? I have had issues in the passed with 32bit and 64bit systems coming up with the password prompt and then a reboot sorts it.. or rebooting the modem sorts it... sometimes systems appear to connect but can't access the internet because the modem isn't playing ball...

good your problem has gone though
NVIDIA® GeForce® G 105M
Broadcom 43225 wireless card

Two wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do...
Old 4th October 2010, 10:09 PM
DrTrigon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaoss View Post
sometimes the modem you are trying to connect to can play up? I have had issues in the passed with 32bit and 64bit systems coming up with the password prompt and then a reboot sorts it.. or rebooting the modem sorts it... sometimes systems appear to connect but can't access the internet because the modem isn't playing ball...

good your problem has gone though
I think you could be very right! I think also I was something with rebooting either the notebook or the router...
Thanks anyway!

Tags
broadcom, f13 64, gnome, wlan