Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:10 PM
LWhitson2 Offline

windows_7firefox
Angry Blank Screen on Boot-Up (HP 2740p)

Alright, I am trying to install Fedora on my new HP 2740p Tablet PC. I have a rather interesting problem though. When booting the computer, the Fedora Loading Screen displays the countdown. After the countdown an error message shows as follows:

Failed to load transform for ghash-clmulni-2

At this point in time the screen goes blank but I can hear the Fedora boot in the background.

Now, if I choose to boot using an external monitor everything works fine, as long as I switch to the monitor prior to getting the above error message and subsequent blank screen.

I have tried both the standard and KDE spins of Fedora as well as Ubuntu and Kubuntu. All have generally the same result. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to do at this point?

Thanks,
Bryce
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:07 PM
Discov3ry Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Blank Screen on Boot-Up (HP 2740p)

Try adding the following as a kernel option before installation:
acpi=off or pci=noacpi

I'm shooting in the dark here but that usually solved 90% of bootup issues in my case before.
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:48 PM
LWhitson2 Offline

linuxsafari

How would I go about testing that with a Live CD? Would I just add that as a command line option prior to boot? What is the difference in the two commands? Sorry for all the questions but I am still a Linux noob.
Old 28th September 2010, 03:50 PM
latgarf Offline

linuxopera

Thanks a lot, LWhitson2, for the idea to use external monitor! -
I was struggling with the same problem that my 2740p's screen would go black during linux installation process. I figured that it happens when the installation reaches the point when it needs to start gdm or kdm - I could see this when I was installing OpenSuse 11.3 having specified "text" as video option (other than any other screen resolution like 800x600, etc.)

"PnP Bios fatal error on startup" was also a problem, but it went away once I chose installation option under kernel "No local APIC".

One linux distro, which installed beautifully was CrunchBang. But it uses OpenBox rather than Gnome or KDE. Hence, I conclude that the dark screen problem is desktop manager related.

Even after completing the installs, both OpenSuse 11.3 (with Gnome) and Ubuntu 10.04 result in a blank screen upon startup, so that I have to use the external monitor to make any use of the computer. I wonder what a solution could be?

Somewhat surprisingly, Ubuntu doesn't find any proprietary drivers for 2740p - maybe the drivers haven't been created yet as the system is fairly new? My thinking was that maybe the blank screen problem is related to videocard (2740p has intel's gpu built into mobo).
Old 28th September 2010, 03:59 PM
LWhitson2 Offline

linuxredhatfirefox
Thumbs up Re: Blank Screen on Boot-Up (HP 2740p)

Try the beta of Ubuntu 10.10, it worked on my computer flawlessly. I hope that Fedora can pick up on this problem so I can switch back at a later release.

Tags
2740p, blank, bootup, screen