Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th October 2004, 03:49 PM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

Dell gone DOWNHILL!

I ordered a laptop yesterday, and i want to make changes to my order, i called them up, they bounce me around on the phone for more than an hour (waiting time was 1 hours and 40 munites for my first conversation to be taken so basically total of almost 3 hour on the phone)

Now, they transfered me to a rep in bangalore, no offense to any indian worker, but it's really hard to understand what the rep trying to say with a bad phone and static noise, and after talking about making changes to the order, she said "Sorry, i cant help you, you have to contact this department (the one i just got transfered from)"

I told her, that department transfer me to you, and you transfer me back there? and she said yes, so she transfered me back, and then that department said they can not make changes of component, other department is the one who handles it. and transfer me back with a case number this time.

I was on hold from 2.30 to 4.30 without anyone answering my call. that is 2 hours flat.
I give up, i hung up, emailed them, and this morning they emailed me to call a number to change the order, it's the same number i call, i've been on hold for one hours with no one picking it up.

Can you freaking believe what dell is doing? oh btw, i'm not the only one, check Dell forum on dell website , more than 1800 posts is complaining about the same thing.

They are really gone bad after out sourcing and also bad service, now i want to cancel the order, still cant get thru, if i cant get them to talk to me i will do a credit card chargeback.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM
Old 20th October 2004, 03:57 PM
sailor Online
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
That is what I would do...cancel the order!
I have seen the service levels in all businesses really slip in the last few years. I am very quick to cancel anything if I am given any kind of run around.

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 20th October 2004, 03:59 PM
Psquared Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdi
I ordered a laptop yesterday, and i want to make changes to my order, i called them up, they bounce me around on the phone for more than an hour (waiting time was 1 hours and 40 munites for my first conversation to be taken so basically total of almost 3 hour on the phone)

Now, they transfered me to a rep in bangalore, no offense to any indian worker, but it's really hard to understand what the rep trying to say with a bad phone and static noise, and after talking about making changes to the order, she said "Sorry, i cant help you, you have to contact this department (the one i just got transfered from)"

I told her, that department transfer me to you, and you transfer me back there? and she said yes, so she transfered me back, and then that department said they can not make changes of component, other department is the one who handles it. and transfer me back with a case number this time.

I was on hold from 2.30 to 4.30 without anyone answering my call. that is 2 hours flat.
I give up, i hung up, emailed them, and this morning they emailed me to call a number to change the order, it's the same number i call, i've been on hold for one hours with no one picking it up.

Can you freaking believe what dell is doing? oh btw, i'm not the only one, check Dell forum on dell website , more than 1800 posts is complaining about the same thing.

They are really gone bad after out sourcing and also bad service, now i want to cancel the order, still cant get thru, if i cant get them to talk to me i will do a credit card chargeback.
That's really sad. Dell built their reputation on service. In their ads it looks like their call centers are in the US, but we all know that's not true. Dell is not the only one either. Telephone companies, cable companies, banks, online brokerage firms - all of them outsource. Of course, the stocks of those outsourcing companies are doing quite well.

The only computer I have ever ordered from Dell I did online and did not have to make any changes, but I've had some problems with financial services companies. That is why I have switched to a local full service brokerage firm with someone I can go meet with face to face.

Last edited by Psquared; 20th October 2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 20th October 2004, 04:16 PM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

still on the phone, no one picks it up yet

Old 20th October 2004, 04:20 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Ewdi, go thru your credit card company and cancel the authorization for payment. I bet that gets someone's attention.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 20th October 2004, 05:33 PM
mugs Offline

Wow, that really stinks. That is why I stopped buying computers and started building my own. Of course, laptops are a different story.

I heard a story about a business who had a Dell system go bad on the day the warranty expired. When they called, they got India, of course. Well, since they are hours ahead of the US, their computer would not let them schedule a service call since according to them, the day had changed and the warranty was up.

AMD XP 3000+|1024 DDR|2 X 160 GB Seagate|XFX FX 5500 256 MB|DVD|Toshiba 3500A 16X Dual Layer DVDRW|Audigy LS|
Old 20th October 2004, 05:45 PM
Ug Offline
Retired Community Manager

Thats pretty shoddy customer service but I doubt so called "outsourcing" is the problem. I've never had a problem with speaking to Indian call centres.

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.
Old 20th October 2004, 07:26 PM
sailor Online
Administrator

Whether a company outsources its services is a big consideration for me on whether or not I will buy the product (marked dell off the list)...I urge everyone that has had a problem like ewdi to complain, complain and complain again.
Outsourcing takes advantage of folks outside our country and deprives our citizens of a fair wage.

Old 20th October 2004, 07:58 PM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

yeah, it's really tiring talking to someone half of the world away while the company is in here

Old 20th October 2004, 08:16 PM
Dog-One Offline

Been there, done that with Dell and Gateway. My last two laptops came from M-Tech Laptops. Haven't had any complaints and both machines run like tops. I saved quite a bit of money too, since I can buy them without Windows and load a fresh copy of Fedora.
Old 20th October 2004, 08:26 PM
GreyGeek Offline

Thumbs down

Another thing you must realize is that these 'sevice providers' must follow a script and cannot deviate from it. If your problem cannot be assoicated with the various options printed on the script then you are out of luck. That they cannot understand your dialect/slang form of English compounds the problem. Cheap help is cheap, no matter what country it comes from.

Realize also that when you support merchants who outsource the components of their business (manufacturing, inventory, accounting, payroll, support desks, etc.) you are dealing with a company that has chosen an expanding profit margin, for the benefit of a few at the top and a diminishing job market for everyone else. The argument that outsourceing benefits us because it lowers the price of goods here is bogus. What does it matter about the price of goods at Walmart if you cannot find work or can't earn enough from a minimum wage job to pay your rent, electrical, gas, clothing, food bills, auto expenses, insurance, loans, etc?

Microsoft does this to Washington state citizens when MS moved the bulk of their coding offshore and their sales offices to Reno, Nevada, where they don't pay sales taxes. Some of those coders who do work in Washington are paid with stock options and MS gets a rebate from Uncle Sam for the amount of the option when the employee cashes the option in, after the employee pays the broker fee. In effect, YOU are paying MS's coder payroll. Then Ballmer has the gall to say that citizens should be prepared to pay higher taxes "for the good of the community".

Pardon me for getting on the soap box. Rush Limbaugh was wrong about NAFTA when he promoted it and a majority of Republicans and Democracts voted it in and Clinton signed it. http://www.citizen.org/trade/nafta
Old 20th October 2004, 08:40 PM
sailor Online
Administrator

Well said, Greygeek!
*applause*

Old 20th October 2004, 08:47 PM
Psquared Offline

Ditto.
*applause* (a man after my own heart)
Old 20th October 2004, 09:57 PM
sej7278 Offline

DOWNHILL? Dell have always been crap.

I bought a server from them a few years back, for a business. They couldn't even provide me with NT4 Server drivers for the supplied ethernet card, let alone RedHat drivers - they only had Win98 drivers (for a server?!)

One of my friends has had a Dell laptop kill it's HDD and had real trouble getting Dell to replace it, another had one blow up in her lap!
Old 20th October 2004, 10:09 PM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

i called my credit card company and make a chargeback, well they lose me as customer and 29 bucks chargeback fees, i hold another 3 hours today without anyone answering.