Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th September 2010, 01:03 AM
George SIcherma Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Black screen after new Fedora 12 comes up

After I upgraded F11 to F12 on an x86_64, the new system boots and the daemons come up, then the screen goes black and the computer restarts. But then it won't boot at all. It just keeps restarting.

It could be a monitor driver problem. The one time I managed to press "I" fast enough to bring GRUB up, I tried adding "nomodeset". Nothing changed. The monitor is an HP 2009m, so it should not need "nomodeset" anyway. Xfree86.cf has not changed from F11 to F12.

I have a full DVD, so I can bring up Rescue Mode. I had hoped to find clues in (/mnt/sysimage)/var/log/messages, but nothing is being written to it. Once after I rebooted off the hard disk from Rescue Mode, I witnessed a long SElinux conversion. That disquiets me. But disabling SElinux does not solve the problem either.

Can anyone suggest some kernel options that might overcome this problem? I shrink from reinstalling F11 from scratch and having to restore all my files from my backup system!

P.S. I just found in my personal X11 log a message to the effect that /usr/lib64/dvi/nouveau_dri.so is missing. So it is; the directory has 12 drivers and not this one. If I remember right, "nouveau" often figures in trouble reports.

P.P.S. As myself in Rescue Mode I can use xinit to bring X up! But it has only a vanilla text window and no mouse cursor, so I cannot use it or get out of it.

Last edited by George SIcherma; 15th September 2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: New information.
Old 15th September 2010, 03:05 AM
smr54 Online

linuxopera
Re: Black screen after new Fedora 12 comes up

noveau is for NVidia cards and seems to, judging from the forums, to often be problematic.

Have you tried booting into runlevel 3 and then running startx from command line?

If you have an NVidia card, you can search the forums for something like disable noveau

If not NVidia, what sort of video card do you have?

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM CDT ----------

I see there's a long thread about black screen after update--as it's a two pager, maybe one or more of the posts there is relevant.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=250882
Old 15th September 2010, 06:20 PM
George SIcherma Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Thanks for responding! The card is an nVidia 0659, which I don't see listed in Appendix A. But the Fusion driver may well work with it.

The Network Manager does not bring up my wireless internet connection in Rescue Mode. I'll download the RPM on another computer, sneaker it to mine, and install it by hand, unless you have a better idea. If I get my computer working, I can always YUM over the RPM.

---------- Post added 2010-09-15 at 10:50 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was 2010-09-14 at 11:25 PM CDT ----------

I've hit a snag installing the nVidia driver. The driver RPM for my 2.6.31.5-127 kernel is version 96.43.14-1. nVidia's FTP service has no version of the xorg RPM older than 96.43.16-1. I can't upgrade my kernel and all that depends on it by hand!

Any more suggestions? Is there any way to prod Network Manager into bringing up my wireless connection in text mode? I've never succeeded in getting wireless to work without NM.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM CDT ----------

I got over the internet problem by carrying my system to the basement and wiring it to my cable modem. I updated the system and yummed the nVidia driver in. The package apparently modified my grub.conf not to use nouveau in the RAMboot.

I also set up a new ramdisk image as instructed. Now when my system comes up, it appears to be using nvidia.ko. However, the video still dies after the daemons come up.

I tried yumming kmod.nvidia-PAE instead, but YUM drew a blank.

Any ideas for analyzing or fixing this?
Old 15th September 2010, 06:23 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

To work around NetworkManager, I understand there is now a command line version, but I fear I'm not familiar with it. I use the method I have here

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computer.../wireless.html

and just bypass NM entirely.

As the NVidia, I fear that I don't know, not using Fedora on anything with NVidia card. Isn't there an nv driver that will work but not use 3D?
Old 15th September 2010, 07:57 PM
George SIcherma Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I don't need 3-D. I could even use a VESA driver interim!

One more thing: Fedora 12 Live works fine on my system. What does Fedora 12 Live have that Fedora 12 lacks? Is there a way to find out?

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM CDT ----------

Under Fedora 12 Live, xdridriver reports that it's using nouveau.
Old 16th September 2010, 01:02 AM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

A guess, and it's only a guess, is that perhaps there were different versions of noveau in the two, or the update gave you a new improved noveau driver that broke something.

As mentioned, not experienced with Noveau, so can't be more help. Hopefully, someone with noveau experience will see this and help. You can try Leigh's guide for NVidia cards, in the howto section, but again, I have no experience with NVidia on Fedora, so can't help much more than that.
Old 16th September 2010, 01:19 AM
George SIcherma Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Since F12 Live works, I suspect that the upgrade to F12 left my system with an incompatibility. I'm going to back up everything that I didn't already think of backing up, then do a full install of F12 and hope for a usable system. If that fails ... there's always Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 17th September 2010, 07:46 PM
George SIcherma Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I did a full installation of Fedora 12. It booted flawlessly. The new Network Manager handled my unorthodox network flawlessly. Everything worked fine!

Then I did a package update. It had seven hundred updates, including a kernel update, so I rebooted. Now the system crashed after bringing up the daemons.

I'm writing this with Ubuntu 10.04-1. It works fine, and I'm comfortable with either distribution. Of course Ubuntu does not come with nVidia drivers, but I don't really need them. Anyway, it offered to dig them up and install them, and I accepted.

Does Fedora 13 have the black screen problem too? I can only speculate.
Old 17th September 2010, 08:53 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

You might want to start a new thread, being sure to put NVidia in the title. Seems that I, who know little or nothing about the NVidia stuff, am the only one replying. (Or perhaps PM a mod to change the title of this thread.)

Tags
display crash, fedora 12 64-bit, upgrade problem