<---- template headericclude ----->
Can't connect to wireless network - Belkin N wireless USB (rt2870) + fresh Fedora 13
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't connect to wireless network - Belkin N wireless USB (rt2870) + fresh Fedora 13

Hi, I picked up a cheap PC the other day for £20 and it came with a Belkin N Wireless USB adapter. I know the adapter works because Windows XP was originally installed and I could connect with no problems. I wasn't able to connect when I installed Kubuntu so I thought I'd see if I could have any more luck with Fedora....so far, not so good! I realise that this is a fairly common problem, especially for this USB adapter, but I've tried dozens of threads here and elsewhere and still can't get Fedora online.

I can see the wireless networks in the list, but if I try and connect then I just repeatedly get asked to enter the authentication details, which I know I'm providing correctly.

Here is some information that I seem to see everyone providing (omitting irrelevant parts as I'm having to manually type this up):

lsusb
    Code:
    BUS 001 Device 006: ID 050d:815c Belkin Components Ralink RT2870 [F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter V3000]
    iwconfig
    Code:
    lo    no wireless extensions.

eth0    no wireless extensions

wlan0    IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID: "Rob Masters's Network"
        Mode: Managed    Frequency:2.437 GHz    Access Point: Not-Associated
        Tx-Power=17 dBm
        Retry    long limit:7    RTS thr:off    Fragment thr:off
        Power Management:on
    uname -r
    Code:
    2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686
    I have tried following this thread but I can't do "yum install rt2870" as I can't get online. I've tried downloading the relevant .rpm files that thread mentions, but when I try and run "rpm -ivh *rt2870*.rpm" I just get the following dependancy issues that I can't quite understand:

Code:
    warning:  kmod-rt2870-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.i686.rpm:  Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID a3780952:  NOKEY
    error:  Failed dependencies:
        kernel-uname-r = 2.6.33.6-147.fc13.i686 is needed by kmod-rt2870-2.6.33.6-147.fc13.i686-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.i686
        kernel-uname-r = 2.6.33.8-149.fc13.i686 is needed by kmod-rt2870-2.6.33.8-149.fc13.i686-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.4.i686
    Here are the files I've downloaded:
    - kmod-rt2870-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.i686.rpm
    - kmod-rt2870-2.6.33.6-147.fc13.i686-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.i686 (I think I tried without this file first, but I read a dependency as requiring it....I'm not sure if this is true though)
    - kmod-rt2870-2.6.33.8-149.fc13.i686-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.4.i686
    - rt2870-2.4.0.1-1.fc13.noarch

Could someone please help me? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can't connect to wireless network - Belkin N wireless USB (rt2870) + fresh Fedora

You're attempting to install kmods for update kernels, but your running kernel is the release kernel. Go back and get the kmod-rt2870 for the Fedora 13 release kernel. Get the corresponding kmod-rt2870 metapackage and rt2870 package, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can't connect to wireless network - Belkin N wireless USB (rt2870) + fresh Fedora

Thanks for your help, but would you be able to be a but more specific please? I take it I've downloaded the wrong files from the rpmfusion repository, but there are so many there that I have no idea which ones I need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MastahUK

more specific please? I take it I've downloaded the wrong files from the rpmfusion repository, but there are so many there that I have no idea which ones I need.
    That Ralink wireless driver HOWTO that you mentioned explains the three files needed from RPM Fusion. For the Fedora 13 release kernel, I would try the versions of those three files found in the release subdirectory of the RPM Fusion Free repository...Then, if you can connect, you can do a normal yum update to a new kernel and the new versions of the driver files for it.

No promises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yeah those files managed to install without throwing any errors. It doesn't seem to have had any effect though, even after a restart. I can still see the wireless networks but I can't actually connect to any of them.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If NetworkManager is still repeatedly asking for the passphrase, then try deleting all existing wireless connections in NetworkManager (right-click the NM panel icon, Edit Connections, Wireless tab, Delete). Try connecting again. If the Gnome keyring is asking for the passphrase, then try deleting the login.keyring file in ~/.gnome2/keyrings. If your passphrase has special characters or spaces, then try changing it to a normal single word ASCII passphrase. If you haven't rebooted since installing those driver files, then try that. No promises for any of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still no luck. I've tried deleting all the wireless connections in NetworkManager and I removed the login.keyring file. Both my network and my keyring password are alphanumeric, so that shouldn't be causing any troubles. Rebooting makes no difference either.

Is there any other information I can provide to help you figure out what might be wrong? I'm relatively new to linux so I don't really know where to look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about out of ideas.

How about MAC filtering in the router?

Try a different WPA protocol. If it's AES, then try TKIP.

Try connecting without encryption as an experiment.

Have you done anything in system-config-network? Undo it. Try deleting any wireless interfaces in that and reboot.

Try updating the entire system via a wired NIC if possible. Maybe some package update will help.

A long shot maybe, but look at rfkill if for no other reason than to completely exhaust my ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello MastahUK

One thought to add to that, and it might not apply if the "UK" in your identity is not based on locality.

Here, we have channels 12 and 13 available in our routers when we select "Europe" during the setup.

A lot of the Linux wireless drivers don't support those two channels properly and it might be worth checking what yours is set to.

EDIT:

You can forget that idea, yours seems to be 6
    Last edited by bbfuller; 12th September 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of your help, but in the end I decided to go out and buy a cheap 15m cable so I could access the internet in order to set up the wireless. Plus it can't hurt to have it as a backup option in the future. It was a nice and painless process once I'd plugged in the ethernet, just did a yum install for the driver and a yum update and everthing is working great!

So problem solved, but I won't mark this thread as resolved in case it's misleading for others looking for a fix.