Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th September 2010, 11:50 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Issue with yum after hard lockup. Any ideas?

As an aside, the most stable kernel for me is 2.6.35.4-12.fc14. Today, I was running kernel-2.6.35.4-18.fc14, and had a hard lock up while yum was waiting for the yes/no response to accept the update. The screen went blank, and when it came back, the keyboard and mouse were dead. Nothing worked, including alt-F2+. After rebooting by killing power, I got the following error when I tried to update.
Code:
Error: no such table: packages
I followed the instructions at RpmRecovery, including dumping and loading the database, and rebuilding the indexes. That along with "yum clean all" didn't fix the problem. So I tried --noplugins, and it worked! Disabling plugins one at a time showed that yum-plugin-auto-update-debug-info is the problem. I reinstalled it, but the problem still exists.

I haven't been able to google anything useful yet, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas about how to fix the plugin issue.

Thanks in advance,
dd_wizard

Last edited by dd_wizard; 9th September 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 9th September 2010, 06:32 PM
lklaus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Issue with yum after hard lockup. Any ideas?

You might try using
strace -f yum uppdate
THis might indicate where the error pops up
Old 9th September 2010, 08:44 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks for the idea, lklaus. I won't be able to test it, since rebooting fixed the problem.

dd_wizard
Old 10th September 2010, 05:12 AM
lklaus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Event though we don't ever need reboots :-) :-) this was probably the best way to get it running again ..

Klaus

Last edited by lklaus; 10th September 2010 at 05:12 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
hard, ideas, lockup, yum