Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th September 2010, 08:56 AM
Cassanova Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Errors when 'make xconfig'

Hi! I'm building a file server, but before the admins move this to the networking forum' this IS about the kernel.

anyway, I'm building a file server... a very basic thing. not much to it at all.. which is kinda the root of the problem... this is an old Dell (ugh! I know!) Dimension 8300. it's running a 2.6 GHz Celeron (Northwood die, so single-core), with (at the moment) a mere 256 MB of RAM... so I wanted to build a kernel that really minimizes its presence in my minuscule amount of RAM using this guide, I have gotten so far as the actual Kernel configuration. wherein it says to cd to your kernel's directory and use the 'make xconfig' command... but when I do this, it gives me the following error:

Code:
[2:46 What is thy bidding?]/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
  HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
/bin/sh: g++: command not found
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf.o] Error 127
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
so I've never compiled my own kernel before, so I haven't a clue what's wrong, or what I need to do

any tips or help is appreciated!!! thank You!
Thanks to everyone in the Fedora Forum Community! It's because of your willingness to assist even the newest users and treat them with respect and patience that keeps me coming back to Fedora Every time!
Old 7th September 2010, 10:23 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxredhatfirefox
Re: Errors when 'make xconfig'

Have you installed things like gcc, kernel source, etc? You may also need to install Development Tools or parts thereof. The types of tools one needs so that a kernel compile will be successful. There are a lot of prerequesites.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 7th September 2010, 01:01 PM
Arimus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Does fedora have the build-essentials metapackage? If so install that and the relevant kernel sources.

Secondly I'd use make menuconfig rather than xconfig - especially on an old box :-)

Last edited by Arimus; 7th September 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 7th September 2010, 03:04 PM
andrewthomas Offline

linuxgentoofirefox

Code:
su -c 'yum install rpmdevtools'
su -c 'yum-builddep kernel-<version>.src.rpm'
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimus View Post

Secondly I'd use make menuconfig rather than xconfig - especially on an old box :-)
+1
Old 7th September 2010, 08:02 PM
Cassanova Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

as per the tutorial, I double checked that I had the latest gcc, and bzip2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewthomas View Post
Code:
su -c 'yum install rpmdevtools'
su -c 'yum-builddep kernel-<version>.src.rpm'
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

+1
*confused* like I said, I've never built a kernel before so I'm kinda jumping headlong into this.. for the yum-buildep kernel<X>-src.rpm .... is that the one I'm building FROM or the one I'm building ON i.e. I'm wanting to build FROM kernel-2.6.35.4 however, I'm doing so (for now )ON a Fedora system w/ kernel 2.6.32.19-163
I'm kind of assuming here, that its the one I'm building FROM (2.6.35.4) but I know that Assumptions can be dangerous, so i want to be sure.

as for the posted link, yumdownloader is also giving me errors. in step two, the following occurs
Code:
yumdownloader --source kernel
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves
0fedora/primary_db         31% [====-          ] 203 kB/s | 3.0 MB     00:33 ETAfedora/primary_db                                        | 9.7 MB     00:40     
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://rpm.livna.org/mirrorlist error was
14: HTTP Error 503 : http://rpm.livna.org/mirrorlist 
Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: livna. Please verify its path and try again
this is all quite confusing to me, but I can think of no better way to learn things than to jump in and do them.... .bear with me and my extreme 'newbie-ness" in this matter
thank you
Thanks to everyone in the Fedora Forum Community! It's because of your willingness to assist even the newest users and treat them with respect and patience that keeps me coming back to Fedora Every time!

Last edited by Cassanova; 7th September 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 8th September 2010, 02:47 PM
andrewthomas Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

After you have done
Code:
rpmdev-setuptree
If you are trying to build a kernel from a different release than you are on it is probably easier to just get the source from koji.
go to koji and grab kernel-2.6.35.4-23.fc14.src.rpm
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=194232
after you have saved the kernel source, then
Code:
su -c 'yum-builddep --releasever=14 /path/to/whereYouSaved/kernel-2.6.35.4-23.fc14.src.rpm'
I am not sure that the above will work, but it can't hurt to try. Post your errors if you get any.
then navigate to the directory that you saved the kernel source that you downloaded from koji and
Code:
rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.35.4-23.fc14.src.rpm
then continue to follow the Building_a_custom_kernel wiki
Old 9th September 2010, 06:01 AM
Cassanova Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

koji seems to use all Fedora builds.. I was kinda hoping to base it off of CentOS. On the other hand, since I'm building a custom kernel, , doe s it really matter? also, while I appreciate, your willingness to provide alternatives, I think for the sake of this forum (and other FedoraForum users requiring w/ this subject matter), I would like to try and stick to the original posting topic of 'make xconfig'. Sorry to be annoying... I've just never done this before; its totally new to me. I've been using Linux for several years, but I always avoided the kernel, as I was always made to believe it's VERY complicated, and involved. However at this point, I see it a a necessity. Lastly, if you feel it will help you to further help me, i've also posted a similar inquiry over at LinuxQuestions.

Last edited by Cassanova; 9th September 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10th September 2010, 06:06 PM
Cassanova Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Okay. After much question asking both here and over at LQ, I've got x config up and running! Thank you all for all of you patience and input. the community willingness to help is one of the main reasons I love Linux so much!!!

Tags
error 127, error 2, kernel