FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 1 of 1
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fedora 13 KDE can't log in to user account, kded crash

    Friday greetings to all...

    Running Fedora 13, 32-bit, KDE Spin with KDE SC 4.5.1. and NVidia graphics.

    Having installed some automatic updates earlier, I was moving some plasma widgets around and Plasma Desktop crashed, leaving me with a blank black screen.

    Now when I log in to my user account I get the loading animation for a couple of seconds and then it crashes back to the login screen.

    Logging in as Root works fine, so does creating a fresh user account.

    /home/(username)/.xsession-errors gives me:

    Code:
    startkde: Starting up...
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kded(4946): Communication problem with  "kded" , it probably crashed. 
    Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files" " 
    
    <unknown program name>(4944)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating:  "COOLERMASTER;1283501102;250139;4944_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
    startkde: Shutting down...
    klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
    startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
    startkde: Done.
    Code:
    kded4 --version
    gives me:

    Code:
    [root@COOLERMASTER ~]# kded4 -version
    Qt: 4.7.0
    KDE Development Platform: 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1)
    KDE Dæmon: $Id: kded.cpp 1156841 2010-07-29 19:59:05Z zander $
    I've had a browse around the forums and spent a bit of time with my good friend Google, but I can't find anything that matches my scenario.

    Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

    Best,

    itsjustarumour

    ---------- Post added at 12:54 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM CDT ----------

    OK, still having trouble...

    As I could log in fine both as Root and with a new test profile, I figured the cause of the problem had to lie in my own Home directory somewhere.

    So I've methodically copied all of the files from my own Home directory to the new test account, a few at a time and changing the relevant permissions, and I'm still unable to replicate the problem with the test account - I can still log in fine. Once logged in to the test account, everything looks the same as my regular account with one exception - the clock and Desktop plasmoids haven't started up - could this be a clue to where the problem lies? I've tried recreating all the plasma/plasmoid-related configuration files in my Home directory again, but makes no difference.

    I thought perhaps this was a permissions issue somewhere, so in desparation I tried CHOWNing /home/(username)/.kde/share/config but still no dice.

    All out of ideas now!

    Anyone?

    ---------- Post added at 05:27 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM CDT ----------

    OK, couldn't get to the bottom of this so had to go for the brute-force approach.

    Backed up the contents of my user profile in Home, deleted it, rebooted, re-created it and copied all my files back in. Bish bash bosh, all working, apart from the minor issue of the aforementioned weirdness with the missing desktop plasmoids.

    Bit of a worry that such randomness can stop a user logging in...

    Marking thread as solved!
    Last edited by itsjustarumour; 3rd September 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. User account dialog for Fedora 13
    By RahulSundaram in forum Fedora 13 Development Branch
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th January 2010, 03:14 PM
  2. Fedora 10 'user switcher' crash
    By andyw1878 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 21st July 2009, 02:54 PM
  3. Fedora 8 user account
    By misaac in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th April 2008, 05:58 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd June 2007, 08:27 PM
  5. Which account to use ? Root or a new user account
    By TeachMeLinux in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th March 2007, 10:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •