Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th August 2010, 03:00 PM
CowTux Offline

linuxfirefox
how to use less CPU on loops

Hi,

This is probably a weird question, so prepare yourselves.

I'm writing a little program to display an estimate of my battery life on my xmobar status bar. I was using a program I've found which watches for CAPSLOCK and does something similar. However, in my program the infinite while loop uses way too much of my CPU. I've picked apart the example CAPSLOCK program and I've found that the reason it doesn't take 99% of my CPU is this

Code:
XNextEvent(disp, &ev.core);
I'm guessing this function waits for an X event before moving on to the next line of code. So, the effect of this is that the while(1) loop in which this function call lives slows down and doesn't consume too much CPU.

So, does anyone know a way to get a similar effect without having to bother the X server?

pseudo-code
Code:
while(1) {
  look at battery file and calculate time left

print info to stdout

wait a few seconds

}

Cheers,
C
Old 24th August 2010, 04:02 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: how to use less CPU on loops

You should try exactly what you suggest... throw a sleep or usleep into your loop. See "man 3 sleep" and "man 3 usleep".

while (1){
do_stuff();
sleep(10); //sleeps for 10 seconds
}

However, if you can find something to wait on rather than polling, it will save you from waking the system up every time the loop iterates.
Old 24th August 2010, 08:10 PM
CowTux Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: how to use less CPU on loops

Thanks for the advice.

sleep( ) has done the trick for me.

Thanks,
C

Tags
cpu, loops