Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 12th August 2010, 05:58 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Question How to install Fedora 10 on a running internet server? Also, who knows DNS and Email?

Ok, so here's the deal, i've got a webserver from GoDaddy, but they only offer Fedora 7 (i won't use CentOS). I've been thinking of upgrading to fully dedicated, so that i can have the hpet timer needed to run a conference bridge, but i also need a later version of fedora to get some important packages needed for various things. They don't offer another version of Fedora, but i know that there are ways to install it over the network.

I've briefly done some reading into PXE installs, but it seems that you have to be installing from a LOCAL network (because you need dhcp, etc to determine the install media's location). So i need to know if there is a way that i can ssh into my Fedora 7 server, and via the ssh only, install Fedora 10 or 12 over the internet. The location of the install media isn't important (it could even be my own local development/home server (i have a big bandwidth connection @ home)).

Is this possible? I will google this more later, when i get more time, but i just wonder if someone HERE has done it before.

--- As a side note, i'm also curious if anyone here has ever setup a mail server and dns server via ssh (no control panel or gui). I've read about how to do DNS for a while now, and i understood a lot of what i read about DNS, but i'd be afraid to break my box when trying to change the email and dns configs. DNS and Email server setups are the only 2 things that i have left to figure out before i can completely get rid of my "Simple Control Panel", and do everything over ssh. I hate these control panels because they change WHAT the config files are (names), and they change WHERE they are on the file system. I know enough about web servers and voip servers to override the panel configs with my own, but not for the DNS and Email configs. If i could find a guru, i might be interested in paying them to walk me through it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Vector; 12th August 2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:17 PM
assen Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How to install Fedora 1* on a running Fedora 7 server, over the internet

Hi,

Haven't done exactly this, but two (random)ideas came up as read your question:

- You can run a current Fedora in a VM on your VPS

- If you have DS (that is, can boot physically a machine), a kind of "L3-enabled" PXE is the boot.fedoraproject.org (BFO) project, which allows you to boot Fedora from an Internet server: http://boot.fedoraproject.org/

Regarding setting up mail/DNS over SSH the answer is: 'many times" :-) It is safe and easy as long as you commit to reading documentation and lose fear from console tools like vim.

WWell,
Old 12th August 2010, 09:50 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

If you are running a VPS you could try using preupgrade , you may be able to go from F7 to a higher version, I am not sure.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade

But, IMO, on a VPS, you are better off backing up your data and asking godaddy for a new VPS, flavor of your choice.

IMHO I would use either Debian (runs quite well, very stable as a VPS) or Centos over Fedora. I know you are biased about Centos, but, the main advantage of Centos or Debian is the stability (less breakage, less need to upgrade the entire VPS).
Old 12th August 2010, 10:38 PM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanx @ both. The reason that i dont use anything other than fedora is because i hate the way they're administrated (eg, sudo). I also like knowing that there are a lot of packages that can be yummed, and not built.

I'm going to read into the BFO. I've read about that PreUpgrade / Upgrade option before, but if i could get a clean install, then i'd opt for that.

Thanx again

@assen
I'll pm you my email/phone for the other issue.
Old 14th August 2010, 02:52 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

Hey guys, i have looked at more options, including the BFO, but it seems that you'd have to have physical access to the machine for these (to insert a CD, or, in the case of BFO, to select options at the boot menu, etc). So, it looks like there may be no way to do this ENTIRELY over ssh...

Thanks
Old 7th September 2010, 09:19 AM
Vector Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox

Ok, so i was chatting with a rep of "The Planet", and they said this:

Quote:
Austin: We did for a while and then stopped earlier this year due to lack of interest. I recommend adding KVM over IP for $30/month and then cancelling it after the first month. With this option you can manually install whatever linux distro you want.
Austin: Basically, you remotely mount the image
Austin: And then boot the server with KVM
Austin: And then install it as if you were sitting in front of it
Austin: Or you could just have us put the disk in the server if your provide an image
Austin: And then remotely install it with KVM over IP
Austin: Its like having a local keyboard and mouse.
So, has anyone every tried this before? I guess i could just get a server for a month, and if it doesn't work, screw it; but if it does: great.
Old 7th September 2010, 11:45 PM
yungblood Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Running a remote kvm is very easy. It takes a little coordination with the hosting company, but it's just like installing at home. You just have to have them put the disc in, and remove it at the appropriate times.
-Kevin

Tags
fedora, install, internet, running, server