Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th August 2010, 01:46 AM
Jon Henry Offline

windows_7firefox
Network printer issues

I have a printer connected to a Win7 machine that I would like to share with my Fedora 13 laptop.

Ive read through some tutorials and have managed to get samba installed. When I add the printer, I get to the new printer screen and select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' then click browse. Iam then able to see my windows 'WORKGROUP' and the names of all the pc's on it. When I click on the pc that the printer is connected to (MAIN), I get an authentication dialog asking for a username and password in order to connect to MAIN. Initially I had no password set on my win7 account and could not access MAIN. I then put a password on my win7 account and tried again with my username, WORKGROUP for domain and my newly created password and still no luck.

Am I doing something wrong here? I am a linux newbie.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM CDT ----------

I have another pc in the house running Vista, the fedora machine is able to see that pc fine but the pc cant see the fedora machine. Still cant see the win7 pc on the fedora machine.
Old 8th August 2010, 01:56 AM
scott32746 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: Network printer issues

Hello,
Do you have the printer shared on the windows system. Not sure but think you need to that
you also may need netbois running on both
On Linux it is nmb
Old 8th August 2010, 02:03 AM
Jon Henry Offline

windows_7ie
Re: Network printer issues

Yes the printer is shared as the vista pc uses it. Being that I was able to acces the vista shares from the fedora machine, the issue must be with the win7 machine. I enabled NetBIOS and still no luck. Im still getting the 'password incorrect' dialog. I know the password is correct, I changed it twice to make sure. Logging into the vista machine this way works perfectly well, just not the win7 pc.

Tags
issues, network, printer