Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:08 AM
wolfen69

linuxubuntufirefox
Acer Aspire One

Target (a chain dept. store in the US) has a sale this week for the acer aspire one for $199. At that price I couldn't resist. It has the 1.66 atom cpu, 1gb ram, and 160gb drive. I quickly wiped windows 7 off and installed ubuntu 10.04, which works as if it was made for it. Pretty good deal for a good netbook. And it even plays low level 3D games pretty well. I'm very satisfied with it.
Old 22nd July 2010, 03:16 AM
forkbomb Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Acer Aspire One

I have one of the earlier models with those specs. They're nice little machines. Obviously not desktop replacements, but they're good for what they do. Installing Linux on mine was the best thing I could have done on it -- the peace of mind of encryption I can trust was a big part.
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:27 AM
DCOH Offline

linuxfedoramozilla

I have one of those and dual boot Windows xp and Fedora 13 even got the AT&T broadband modem working.
Registered Linux user #432525
Linux Box # 337563
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:24 PM
wolfen69

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCOH View Post
I have one of those and dual boot Windows xp and Fedora 13 even got the AT&T broadband modem working.
This might be a stupid question, but why would you need windows on a netbook?
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:54 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury View Post
160gb drive
Too bad. Its really becoming hard to find decent netbooks with SSD's, and when you do, you really pay a premium for them.

Quote:
I quickly wiped windows 7 off
TOO FAST!!!
Acer would have given you your money back for the windeath. Probably in the range of $50 to $75..... which would bring your total expense down to.... about $125-$150 for the thing.
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:17 PM
wolfen69

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
Too bad. Its really becoming hard to find decent netbooks with SSD's, and when you do, you really pay a premium for them.
I don't mind at all. I basically just use it for surfing and playing music, so it doesn't matter too much.

Quote:
TOO FAST!!!
Acer would have given you your money back for the windeath. Probably in the range of $50 to $75..... which would bring your total expense down to.... about $125-$150 for the thing.
That's not what I heard. Windows 7 starter is more in the $15-20 range. No big deal. It's just the site of windows on my shiny new toy made me so sick, I had to wipe it off immediately.
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:25 PM
forkbomb Offline

linuxgentoofirefox

Quote:
It's more the other way around. It's hard to find a netbook with a decent SSD. Good netbooks are a dime a dozen. It's just that the SSDs they put into them suck.

That's the problem. Good SSDs are so expensive that putting them into a netbook would substantially increase the price. Considering one of the selling points of netbooks is that they're cheap, that doesn't work.
Old 24th July 2010, 04:50 AM
DCOH Offline

linuxfedoramozilla

The Acer came with windows xp already on it and until I made sure that the AT&T broadband modem worked in Fedora I still wanted to be able to use it in my travels. With XP relegated to 35 Gigs it takes up little space the balance of the 160 Gig Hard drive is used for Fedora, more than I need so why wipe an extra O/S.
Registered Linux user #432525
Linux Box # 337563
Old 24th July 2010, 07:23 PM
wolfen69

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCOH View Post
With XP relegated to 35 Gigs it takes up little space the balance of the 160 Gig Hard drive is used for Fedora, more than I need so why wipe an extra O/S.
To each their own I guess. In my case, I see no need to keep an OS on there that I will never use.
Old 30th July 2010, 05:23 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkbomb View Post
It's more the other way around. It's hard to find a netbook with a decent SSD. Good netbooks are a dime a dozen. It's just that the SSDs they put into them suck.

That's the problem. Good SSDs are so expensive that putting them into a netbook would substantially increase the price. Considering one of the selling points of netbooks is that they're cheap, that doesn't work.
Even the worst crap SSD has WAY better read performance than the BEST spinning disk.... as a netbook, its not going to be your major data cruncher, so you don't want to be writing much anyway -- tune it such that it doesn't do many writes and it'll fly.... and this is from someone with experience with the wonderfully bad 16 GB SSD that shipped in AAO's. My current Asus T91-MT's 32GB SSD writes pretty good.... but the machine wasn't exactly cheap.