Hey all.. back from vacation.. And an extra week from getting sick (Thanks Montezuma!). Got my M11X-R2 display repaired as well, and I'm using it right now.
I spent a little time this morning trying to figure out how to use my nvidia GPU, because I've been toying with a few games which just won't run very well on the intel display.
So, this is what I tried:
1. Disabled the i915 driver by blacklisting it in /etc/modprobe.conf
2. Rebuilt the initrd so that the i915 driver isn't loaded on boot
3. Disabled kernel mode setting for all drivers
4. Disabled and removed the i915 PCI device by doing this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
echo 0 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0/enable
echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0/remove
5. Called \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._PS0 using the acp_call kernel module. This seems to be the proper ACPI Method to make sure the Nvidia GPU is initialized.
6. Made sure that vga arbiter has chosen the correct video device by doing:
echo -e "target PCI:0000:01:00.0\nlock io+mem\ndecodes io+mem" >/dev/vga_arbiter
After doing this, I tried nouveu driver. It apparently doesn't recognize the nvidia gpu at all in the M11XR2
Next, I tried the closed-source binary driver (available from rpmfusion).
It seems to recognize the GPU, but when it fails during initialization with an error message that says it could not copy the video bios to system memory.
So, that's about as far as I got. Some possibilities I can think of:
1. We need to tinker with the NVOP ACPI Methods, which may do more to init the GPU. I think however calling PS0 does everything we need.
2. It could be that neither nouveau nor nvidia's closed-source driver supports our GPU yet. We may just have to wait and hope.
3. I noticed that the 'bios' pointer seems to be missing for this PCI device 1:0:0. If you go poking around in /sys/bus/pci for both video chipsets, you'll notice that the intel GPU has a bios, when the nvidia one does not. I'm not sure if it's an external firmware file that we need somewhere? Maybe we have to somehow extract it from the windows drivers or something?
Anyway.. Not sure where to go at this point.. Any ideas are appreciated.
In the mean time... Has anyone figured out what key codes to set for the Alienware Function keys? Here's what I have, but I'm not sure about the second argument to setkeycodes. I just sort of picked them out of thin air.
# Alienware m11x Keys
# Switch display FN-F1
setkeycodes e00b 130
# Battery FN-F2
setkeycodes e007 131
# Wireless toggle FN-F3
setkeycodes e004 132
# Brightness up FN-F4
setkeycodes e006 133
# Brightness down FN-F5
setkeycodes e005 134
# Spaceship key FN-Spaceship :)
setkeycodes e009 135
# Alien FX key FN-AlienFX
setkeycodes e027 136