Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th July 2010, 08:41 AM
LinUsr@Flanders Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile (solved)how do I make Java use Pulseaudio?

Hi,

Ok, still on to the silent Java. I use Java to (yes, laugh.. .) play Runescape. I can hear the (midi?) music but none of the ambient sounds. In a chatbox I (over) heared that it is clever (needed/required) to use Pulseaudio.

How do I make the JRE use paulseaudio?

Tnx

Thor
Running F10 as main system
Server CentOS 5.2 LAMP
Java dev
---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by LinUsr@Flanders; 22nd November 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:40 PM
fwelland Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: how do I make Java use Pulseaudio?

This may be water under the bridge by now, but I just struggled thru this myself (not for runscape) There are a few ways out on the Web to do this, but this is the method that worked for me -- it is not perfect -- sound can have some stutters in it, it actually seemed to get better after I used it for a bit, weird...there could be a tweak for this...

Fedora release 13 (Goddard)
2.6.34.7-61.fc13.i686.PAE #1 SMP
SUN Jdk installed in /opt/jdk1.6.0_22
Firefox tweaked to use this JDK...

DO:

cp /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/jre/lib/i386/libpulse-java.so /opt/jdk1.6.0_22/jre/lib/i386/.
cp /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0/jre/lib/ext/pulse-java.jar /opt/jdk1.6.0_22/jre/lib/ext/.
mv /opt/jdk1.6.0_22/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so /opt/jdk1.6.0_22/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so.bak

add the following lines to bottom of /opt/jdk1.6.0_22/jre/lib/sound.properties

javax.sound.sampled.Clip=org.classpath.icedtea.pul seaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.Port=org.classpath.icedtea.pul seaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine=org.classpath.i cedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider
javax.sound.sampled.TargetDataLine=org.classpath.i cedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioMixerProvider

Restart your firefox and try java applet with sound...and try a linux or gnome program with sound too....

Note: I think the problem is that SUN/Oracle JDK has a default configuration of using ALSA. ALSA is kinda low-level and doesn't support** mixing of multiple streams -- hence why there is high level sound deamon like pulse.. The above steps configure Sun's JDK to use a different sound configuration -- namely the one for OpenJDK/IceTea --which outputs to pulse.... It would be great if Sun/Oracle made 2 'things' for linux jdks: pulse and alsa....

** ALSA 'dmix' plugin can do mixing and you can achieve a similar thing by using dmix...ymmv
Old 21st November 2010, 12:03 AM
HMSS013 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

yum install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:31 AM
LinUsr@Flanders Offline

linuxfirefox

Hello fwelland, tried that...and I got sound. I took the liberty of making a note (got a hude notbook by now ) to remember this for the next install...
Yo hmss013, these were installed, hence my confusion...oh well, Linux still is my thing!!!

Thanks!

Thor
Running F10 as main system
Server CentOS 5.2 LAMP
Java dev
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tags
java, pulseaudio, sound