Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2010, 10:50 PM
Evil-I Offline

windows_7firefox
NIC Bonding in Fedora 13

Hi all,

Have set up bonding on my Fedora 13 server as per the tutorial :http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...interface.html

Now the interfaces are up and the bond seems to be working on its static IP address of 192.168.0.100, I just no longer seem to have internet access on the server and can't work out why? I think I may have an issue at this stage:

Step # 3: Load bond driver/module

Make sure bonding module is loaded when the channel-bonding interface (bond0) is brought up. You need to modify kernel modules configuration file:# vi /etc/modprobe.confAppend following two lines:alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=balance-alb miimon=100Save file and exit to shell prompt. You can learn more about all bounding options in kernel source documentation file (click here to read file online).

The file contains no information at all, so i did add these 2 lines of code as requested,

alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=balance-alb miimon=100

but it did seem odd that it was blank before I added that code in, I'm wondering if Fedora 13 works differently to what this is suggesting?

I've got: GATEWAY=192.168.0.1 as part of the bond config, which is my default gateway and I've even tried manually adding the nameservers in the bond config file as either NAMESERVER=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and NAMESERVERS=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and that didn't appear to help. It almost seems like a DNS issue though to be honest?

I've no idea whats wrong, as far as I can tell in every other way the bond is working fine, it's just the internet access side thats no right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

E-I
Old 9th July 2010, 04:08 PM
David Becker Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: NIC Bonding in Fedora 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-I View Post
Any suggestions?
I don't know if it works for bond-devices, but you probably have to set the GATEWAYDEV in /etc/sysconfig/network.

David
Old 9th July 2010, 08:59 PM
assen Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: NIC Bonding in Fedora 13

Hi,

AFAIK (haven't used boding since CentOS 5.0), you will no longer have eth0 and eth1, but will get a device bond0 as a virtual Ethernet interface. However, all ARP traffic should go to bond0, hence the IP address should be assigned to bond0; any L2 routes, incl. default gw, should also point to bond0, not eth0.

WWell,

Tags
bonding, fedora, nic