Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:59 PM
abc93

windows_xp_2003firefox
Exclamation How to install softwares from fedora9 DVD?

Hi Everyone,

I have installed fedora 9 in my computer from fedora9 DVD. I have installed it in the default configuration mode. Now I want to install java package ( e.g. jdk which comes with the fedora dvd by default ) to my computer. I tried but could not do. I don't know where to start from. I don’t have internet connection at my home. Please suggest me how to install java in fedora9.

Thank for reading.

Last edited by abc93; 3rd July 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:10 PM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Re: How to install softwares from fedora9 DVD?

Hello abc93,

First, I feel obligated to warn you that you installed an obsolete version of Fedora that is no longer supported and whose repos are now in the archives. The repo files that get installed will be busted and need repairing to find the archives if you want to update to the final versions of packages that were available for Fedora 9 at the time it was archived. There's a HOWTO for that.

Next, regarding your question, you have to manually set up the so-called InstallMedia repo. Then disable all other repos (which will be busted in F9 anyway), enable the InstallMedia repo, and then install what you need from the DVD with the usual yum commands. Here is a recent thread that contains an accurate description of how to set up the InstallMedia repo and use it...
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=247189
P.S.: Maybe you installed Fedora 9 because of a class you're taking, or maybe it came with a book that you purchased. That's fine. But I wanted to add that version 9 was not Fedora's finest hour IMO. The release versions of many things (e.g., what is on that DVD of yours) were awful. Gnome was in the midst of a giant rewrite, and things were busted all over the place. I had no patience for it at the time and switched to XFCE. Fedora 9 ended up okay as usual after the updates came in, but it sure didn't start out okay. And Gnome was eventually fixed, but I never went back. I still use XFCE in Fedora today.

Last edited by stoat; 3rd July 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:12 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

(moved to EOL)
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 3rd July 2010, 05:31 PM
abc93

windows_xp_2003firefox

Thank you very much to all of you.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:48 AM
abc93

windows_xp_2003firefox
Post Re: How to install softwares from fedora9 DVD?

Hello, Friends,

I have an another question. I insert the fedora9 DVD to the optical drive. I open a terminal window as a root. Now how do I know what software packages are available in the DVD? Which command have to run in the terminal to know that? And after knowing that how do I install a particular software for example Eclipse IDE or jdk from the DVD? Please suggest me.

Thank you very much.
Old 10th July 2010, 07:45 PM
CiaW Offline

linuxopera

The DVD is probably in either the /dev or the /media directories. I believe with Fedora 7 (which I started with last year) it was in the /dev directory and somewhere around F11 or so they started showing cd's and dvd's with a mount point of /media/nameofdvd.

Go to the /dev directory and type ls -l (which will give you a list of the directory contents) and if you don't see the dvd (name of Fedora 9 perhaps?) then cd to /media and do the same thing. Then you can ls -l the contents of the dvd in the same way.

Or, you can open up the file browser for the filesystem and go to those directories and probably at least view the contents, even if you need root to access it. Then after you set up the repo as instructed in the link above, you would type 'yum install packagename' (without quotes) and it should install the package with whatever dependencies it should be able to find on the same dvd.

Last edited by CiaW; 10th July 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: add more info.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:53 PM
stoat Offline

linuxdebianmozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc93

Now how do I know what software packages are available in the DVD? Which command have to run in the terminal to know that?
Another idea to try for that is...
Code:
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedia list
That should show the installed packages followed by the available packages in the InstallMedia repo.

Tags
dvd, fedora9, install, softwares