Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:41 PM
PsychoTrauma Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
pSX emulator 1.13 mini howto

I recently got the urge to play some of my classic playstation games and I remembered this emulator handled everything I threw at it and more when I tested it a long time back.

I downloaded the package and uncompressed it. It wouldn't run for the life of me.

After hours of searching forums I found out pulseaudio is to blame mostly but also it has to do with the config file the program uses.

Here are the steps I had to do to get it working with pulse audio. I warn you this is not a glamorous way of doing things but it worked.

logged into root:

Code:
su
kill pulse audio:

Code:
killall -9 pulseaudio
removed the alsa pulseaudio plugin:

Code:
yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
Run pSX as root.

At this point pSX runs and you ar able to get into the setting menu. When you get to this point you want to select your sound card from the menu. You can close the program now since we have what we needed.

The next step is you want to go to your root folder and unhide hidden folders. You should see a folder called .pSX. You want to copy the psx.ini that is in this folder to the .pSX folder in your users home.

reinstall the alsa pulseaudio plugin:

Code:
yum install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
Restart your computer to allow pulseaudio to restart automatically and you should now be able to run pSX with pulseaudio without being root.
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:47 PM
alchemist19 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: pSX emulator 1.13 mini howto

i've following these steps and still got this error message:

[root@Arukemia pSX]# ./pSX
./pSX: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i've removed pulseaudio too.

Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Erasing : kde-settings-pulseaudio-4.4-16.fc13.noarch 1/3
Erasing : alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.22-1.fc13 2/3
Erasing : alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.22-1.fc13 3/3

Removed:
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 0:1.0.22-1.fc13 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.x86_64 0:1.0.22-1.fc13

Dependency Removed:
kde-settings-pulseaudio.noarch 0:4.4-16.fc13

Complete!

any solution?
Old 28th July 2010, 11:00 AM
enteFinal Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist19 View Post
i've following these steps and still got this error message:

[root@Arukemia pSX]# ./pSX
./pSX: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

i've removed pulseaudio too.

Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Erasing : kde-settings-pulseaudio-4.4-16.fc13.noarch 1/3
Erasing : alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.22-1.fc13 2/3
Erasing : alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.22-1.fc13 3/3

Removed:
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 0:1.0.22-1.fc13 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.x86_64 0:1.0.22-1.fc13

Dependency Removed:
kde-settings-pulseaudio.noarch 0:4.4-16.fc13

Complete!

any solution?
Running
Code:
yum provides libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0
will show to you that the package gtkglext-libs contains the file needed. Therefore, run

Code:
yum install gtkglext-libs

and run pSX again.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM CDT ----------

Now get pSX running Ok. Thanks for the post.

If after of to kill pulseaudio, it restarts immediate and automatically, you has that to change the value of the directive autospawn of the pulse client to 'no'. For this, create or edit the file ~/.pulse/client.conf (or /etc/pulse/client.conf) and add:

Code:
autospawn = no
Now continue, killing pulseaudio (don't remove pulseaudio from your system!!)

Also, you can to run pSX as normal user the first time mentioned (and get the config file in ~/.pSX/ folder)

Last edited by enteFinal; 28th July 2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo error
Old 9th January 2012, 08:31 AM
jurgel Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoTrauma View Post
I recently got the urge to play some of my classic playstation games and I remembered this emulator handled everything I threw at it and more when I tested it a long time back.

I downloaded the package and uncompressed it. It wouldn't run for the life of me.

After hours of searching forums I found out pulseaudio is to blame mostly but also it has to do with the config file the program uses.

Here are the steps I had to do to get it working with pulse audio. I warn you this is not a glamorous way of doing things but it worked.

logged into root:

Code:
su
kill pulse audio:

Code:
killall -9 pulseaudio
removed the alsa pulseaudio plugin:

Code:
yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
Run pSX as root.

At this point pSX runs and you ar able to get into the setting menu. When you get to this point you want to select your sound card from the menu. You can close the program now since we have what we needed.

The next step is you want to go to your root folder and unhide hidden folders. You should see a folder called .pSX. You want to copy the psx.ini that is in this folder to the .pSX folder in your users home.

reinstall the alsa pulseaudio plugin:

Code:
yum install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
Restart your computer to allow pulseaudio to restart automatically and you should now be able to run pSX with pulseaudio without being root.
its works like a charm,

thank you very much,
you save up my time

Tags
113, emulator, howto, mini, psx