Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th June 2010, 02:41 AM
CChips Offline

linuxchrome
Spacebar + Shift

When I press spacebar with shift, or I press space bar in CAPS lock nothing happens. It's a big pain when I am typing after a capital letter... The same is not true when I switch to Hebrew keyboard. It happens in USA - QWERTY and DVORAK

Is there any fix for this?
Old 26th June 2010, 03:29 AM
jpollard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Spacebar + Shift

works fine here

What keyboard do you have?
Old 26th June 2010, 04:29 AM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

Is it at all possible that it's the keyboard, that is, the physical keyboard? Have you tried more than one keyboard on the machine?

Second guess, as you mention Hebrew, I'm guessing you have an input manager. Any chance that you're hitting ctl along with shift? (Usually, the standard method for changing input is ctl+space).
Old 26th June 2010, 07:31 AM
CChips Offline

linuxchrome

Standard Lenovo keyboard. I don't think it's the physical keyboard because as you can see from this sentence the shift button works when in conjunction with other letters. But now that smr54 mentions it - I believe the problem began after I turned on the language manager. Are there any known problems?

Note: I noticed space also doesn't work when Ctrl is pressed, however, all things work when I am in a terminal mode (no GUI)

For thoroughness; I'm using the keyboard which came with the computer, it's never had issues - it's a Lenovo keyboard.

===

Okay I have determined the exact problem after considering smr's mentioning of an input manager; I think it might be deserved to add to known problems.

When Hebrew-tiro (Hebrew with vowels) is present in the input manager; Shift or Ctrl + Space bar does not work for any language with exception to Hebrew-tiro. I switched to regular Hebrew and have no problem. Perhaps other could try it in order to confirm.

- Add keyboard layout || Israel --> Hebrew tiro
- Try typing shift space
Old 26th June 2010, 01:45 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera

If you have time (I've noticed your signature), you might consider filing a bug against ibus. (I'm assuming, which may be incorrect, that you're using the ibus input manager.)

The ibus maintainers actually seem to care how their project works, and are usually quick to respond to bug reports, at least in my experience.

Tags
shift, spacebar