Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2010, 10:49 PM
vkerkez Offline

windows_xp_2003safari
Unhappy Kernel bootup error

Hello,

I am running Fedora kernel 2.6.23.17-88.fc7. At my job I was in charge for installing these A/D boards by Diamond Systems. For the most part it comes with a script that can load a module for 2.6.* kernel. In my attempt to load the script, the prompt never returned if it was loaded or not. I gave the system a reboot and now the 2.6.23.17-88.fc7 wont load any drivers(pci cards etc), wont find eth1 and has basic usability.

I noticed that If i load another kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 everything seems to work. The problem is that most of the hardware is setup for the 2.6.23.17-88.fc7. I tried download the source code for 2.6.21 but the rpm refuses to install the source code and headers.

My question is if there is any way I could reload the 2.6.23.17-88.fc7 kernel with my old functionality. That kernel used to work properly untill i used those scripts for installing hardware. Now nothing seems to work under that kernel. I was wondering if anyone had any issue with something like this and if they could share some insight in what could of gone wrong.

thanks,

-vlad
Old 4th June 2010, 11:14 PM
kyuso Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Kernel bootup error

The script must have messed up with driver dependency maps.

To re-generate the maps,
1. remove the offending driver(s) from /lib/modules/YOUR_KERNEL_VERSION/
2. depmod -a

First, you need to figure out what driver files were installed by the script.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:52 PM
vkerkez Offline

windows_xp_2003safari
Re: Kernel bootup error

kyuso,

Words cannot describe how awesome your post is and how it helped me. The company had me do some things that unmapped my modules, your command fixed everything. I really appreciate this, if there is any way I can help you with anything please personal message me.

Today I learned something new and amazing.

thanks,

vlad

Tags
bootup, error, kernel