Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th May 2004, 11:40 PM
spin Offline

Problem with Screen in FC2 and VMware

I installed FC2 with VMware everything is working fine the only problem is that i can switch to a bigger resolution than the 600x480 and 8 bit... I was reading in the VMware website that i have to install inside my guest OS (FC2 in this case) the VMware tools... I tried to install them but they don't work for FC2... does anyone has any idea how to fix this problem?
Old 25th May 2004, 08:16 AM
Varkk Offline

I think you can compile hem under the guest OS so that they work. I did this for FC1, I got the video to work but not the mouse so I had to use the special key combination to release the mouse from th guest. The instructions for doing this should be somewhere on the VMware site.
Old 25th May 2004, 06:13 PM
spin Offline

do you know were in the site? becuase i can't find it...
Old 25th May 2004, 09:58 PM
zerokarmaleft Offline

I'm having a bit of the same problem. However, I've managed to change my xorg.conf to use the generic vesa driver so i can start an X session at a decent resolution and color bitdepth. To try out FC2, I blew away my FC1 installation which had the native VMWare video driver working and VMWare Tools installed so everything was golden. I probably just have some bad values in xorg.conf for my monitor.

Update: Managed to get the native VMWare X driver working properly, and all resolutions and color depths are available . When I tried to configure VMWare Tools, the build process failed for the shared folder module. No big deal, since I transfer files b/w my host and guest OS via FTP. But installing VMWare Tools broke my xorg.conf, so I guess I'll have to live with 3 and 4-finger salutes to switch b/w my OSes :\

Last edited by zerokarmaleft; 25th May 2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 1st June 2004, 10:18 PM
steinmic Offline

> zerokarmaleft:

Hi
Could you post the xorg.conf for the "native VMWare X driver" configuration?

Thanx.

Tags
fc2, problem, screen, vmware