Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th May 2010, 10:32 PM
sirdilznik Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Eschalon Book II

2 weeks after the Windows release, Basilisk Games has released the Linux and Mac versions of Eschalon Book II. For those unfamiliar with the series, Eschalon is an Old-School RPG. There is a DEMO (It's actually the whole game but content locked) so there is no reason why any Linux RPG fan shouldn't check this out.

Anyway I bought this game yesterday (the DVD and whole shebang version because I like to support indie developers) and downloaded it today. I'm really liking it so far. It's old-school isometric, turn-based, story-driven RPG goodness. There is a weird bug where capital 'P' is replaced by a block in text, but it is easily fixed by a simple game restart, and frankly isn't all that big a deal.
Old 27th May 2010, 07:06 AM
piga Offline

linuxsafari
Re: Eschalon Book II

I played a bit of the Eschalon: Book 1 demo, even though I have never been really big on Role-playing games. My greatest criticism is that the player character moved so damn slow. Is this rectified in Book II?

NOTE: Despite what the forum claims, I am actually using Fedora and not an unidentifiable type of Linux and I am using Chromium not bloody Safari!

Last edited by piga; 27th May 2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 27th May 2010, 01:09 PM
sirdilznik Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by piga View Post
I played a bit of the Eschalon: Book 1 demo, even though I have never been really big on Role-playing games. My greatest criticism is that the player character moved so damn slow. Is this rectified in Book II?

NOTE: Despite what the forum claims, I am actually using Fedora and not an unidentifiable type of Linux and I am using Chromium not bloody Safari!
I was never particularly bothered by the character's movement pace in Book I, was plenty fast enough for me. Book II plays just like Book I for the most part, there are more skills, options, weather effects and such, but the gameplay is still the same, so I would imagine the character's movement pace wouldn't be any faster for you.

Edit: I went back and played Book I a bit and you're right the walking speed was pretty slow, it had been a while so I hadn't remembered. So disregard my previous statement. The walking speed is now significantly faster.

Last edited by sirdilznik; 28th May 2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 7th August 2010, 07:28 AM
piga Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I have been playing through the Eschalon: Book II demo, and I actually started to enjoy it. The more immediate friendly surroundings were much more accommodating for introducing new players and allowed one to embark on quests from a safe home base, which was defiantly nicer than in Book I were you wake up in beast infected ruins. Playing Book II caused me to start playing through the Book I demo again as well, though in my opinion Book II is better. Both are defiantly a great option for Linux RPG players though.

Tags
book, eschalon