Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th May 2010, 09:40 AM
Jamwa Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Apache/Tomcat Size Of File Transfered

Am looking to determine how much of a file was downloaded in either Apache or Tomcat web servers.

Looking at a sample entry on the Apache log files:

Code:
127.0.0.1 - frank [10/Oct/2000:13:55:36 -0700] "GET /apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 2326
The last entry shows the size of the object returned to the client. So suppose I have placed a downloadable 3kb file on the server, and the user downloads only 1kb of it, I would like it to show 1000 not 3000 as it shows, regardless.

Any help please?
Old 26th May 2010, 01:36 PM
cliff76 Offline

macossafari
Re: Apache/Tomcat Size Of File Transfered

My guess is that you'd need some custom servlet logic. A servlet could respond to the file request incrementally read/write the file to the response.outputStream and count the bytes transferred and write the total to a log file. On the cases where the client closes the connection prematurely the servlet would have to catch the IOException (I believe its manifests as a broken pipe exception) and respond accordingly. It might look something like:
Code:
long bytesXferred = 0;
try {
  FileInputStream responseFile = getResponseFileFromRequest(request);
  for(int count = responseFile.read(buffer, 0, buffer.length); count !=-1; count = responseFile.read(buffer, 0, buffer.length)) {
    response.getOutputStream.write(buffer, 0, buffer.length);
  }
}catch(IOException e) {
}finally{
  getLogger().log("Transferred " + bytesXFerred + " bytes.");
}
Now that I think of it, using the approach in the above sample (written completely ad-hoc and untested) would likely yield in an HTTP chunk-file transfer where content length is unknown while it is delivered in chunks. Each chunk size would show in your logs which could be inspected to derive the total size.

Tags
apache or tomcat, file, size, transfered