FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    mh3rn4nd3z3 Guest

    Exclamation Maximum Number Of Files In ext3

    Is there a limit to the number of files ext3 can support?

    Reason I'm asking is because on one of my internal drives, I have around 750,000 files. The drive is 500Gb and currently using 150Gb... I noticed recently that when I try to copy a new directory or file, the transfer rate is extremely slow at times. It is sataII and sometimes it gets as low as 500kb/s (yes, kb!)

    Would somebody please shed some light?

    I noticed it might be related to the process gvfsd-metadata

    Please Help.

    Thanks.

    I'm using Fedora 12 64-bit
    The transfer is from an ext3 to ext3 filesystem.

  2. #2
    Seve's Avatar
    Seve is offline Retired Community Manager
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    68
    Posts
    12,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Maximum Number Of Files In ext3

    Hello:

    I think if you run df -i for your /dev/xxx

    it will tell you the inodes for that mounted files ystem and that should, as far as I know, be the amount of files it can support.

    I may be mistaken and if so, someone will come along and correct me, I'm sure

    Seve
    Registered Linux User: #384977
    .................................................. ............
    See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Age
    50
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Maximum Number Of Files In ext3

    If I remember correctly, you will get a some 'disk full' error if you hit an inode limit. Without opening the folder nautilus, do you face the same speed issues if you did the same things via console?

  4. #4
    mh3rn4nd3z3 Guest

    Smile Re: Maximum Number Of Files In ext3

    Quote Originally Posted by Seve
    Hello:

    I think if you run df -i for your /dev/xxx

    it will tell you the inodes for that mounted files ystem and that should, as far as I know, be the amount of files it can support.

    I may be mistaken and if so, someone will come along and correct me, I'm sure

    Seve
    not sure...

    i got the same output for all my HDD's of different size and and the same percentage being used.

    ---------- Post added at 12:27 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM CDT ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by zeland
    If I remember correctly, you will get a some 'disk full' error if you hit an inode limit. Without opening the folder nautilus, do you face the same speed issues if you did the same things via console?
    no, i have not in terminal, i don't think it should happen with the terminal though, just GUI is the problem

    thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. maximum number of clients reached
    By kglidh in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd June 2008, 07:55 PM
  2. Maximum Number of Linux Users
    By rclark in forum Linux Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th December 2007, 12:37 AM
  3. Maximum number of IPv6 addresses ?
    By r00txs in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th January 2007, 03:52 AM
  4. Maximum number of non-legacy 8250/16550 serial ports
    By sunracesuraj in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th August 2006, 07:45 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th January 2006, 04:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •