Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 17th May 2010, 10:12 AM
Robert2 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Using pam_time.so to restrict times a user can login

While the blog posting (#1) by Scott Kindley on how to setup pam_time.so is a good read, I found that on recent Fedora versions (F13 tested), it was restricting text mode login, but not login from GDM.

After some debugging, and tries, I figured out the solution. Instead of editing /etc/pam.d/gdm you need to edit /etc/pam.d/gdm-password (and possibly other /etc/pam.d/gdm-* files that may apply to your environment) and add the line "account required pam_time.so" there instead

And then you need to make a minor adjustment to /etc/security/time.conf, so that instead of using simply 'gdm' as the service name, you should use 'gdm*', so the example line should read instead;

login|gdm*;*;jordan;Al0800-1800

#1)
http://skindley.wordpress.com/2006/1...ogins-by-time/
Old 16th October 2010, 03:24 AM
twidlerjohn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Using pam_time.so to restrict times a user can login

Thanks a million, Robert! This is valuable information.

I've been fidgeting with pam_time which stopped working after an update on Fedora11 and never could get it work again until I saw your post. I wish such changes are announced more prominently.

john

Tags
login, pamtimeso, restrict, times, user