Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2010, 01:50 PM
nickmild Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Fedora/Mint dual boot issues: edit grub.cfg?

Hello everyone,

I believe I have a unique variation of a fairly common problem. I've installed Fedora 12 on a system that was previously running Linux Mint 9 (ubuntu based), and discovered to my chagrin that my grub loader only sees Fedora as a boot option. I can still mount my mint partition, etc., but can't boot into it. I know there are methods of fixing this problem by using a live CD or similar way to get into ubuntu and changing grub from that side, but are there any changes I can make to my grub.cfg on the Fedora side of things, which would be much easier?

I know my Mint partition's mount point and if you can steer me in the right direction I can get whatever other information you need, as well as the text of my current grub.cfg.

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM CDT ----------

my current grub.cfg file doesn't contain anything BUT fedora currently. "update-grub" and similar commands that i've used as an ubuntu user are no good in fedora.

I've got the first two lines of the four-line stanza I want to add to my fedora grub.cfg figured out:

Quote:
title Mint
root (hd0,1)
The above is correct; (hdo,1) corresponds to my Mint partition's mount point, which I checked.

Poking around on other threads it appears that I need two additional lines, "kernel" and "initrd". Any help?
Old 15th May 2010, 02:05 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora/Mint dual boot issues: edit grub.cfg?

Hello and Welcome to Fedoraforum.org,

If you mint install's grub is in sda2 then your "root (hd0,1)" is correct and all you need to do is add a chainloader on the next line. Something like:

Code:
title Mint
root (hd0,1)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1
You will probably want to also change the timeout setting in menu.lst to something like:

Code:
timeout=10
Hope this Helps,

Ky

EDIT: You really don't need the "root (hd0,1)". I just use the title and chainloader for my multiboot grub entries. My mint grub lines would look like:

Quote:
title Mint on sda2
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

Last edited by kyryder; 15th May 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 15th May 2010, 02:13 PM
nickmild Offline

linuxsafari

Thank you for the suggestions. I added the lines you suggested and "Linux Mint" now appears as a boot option, but choosing it leaves me at a black screen with an eternally blinking cursor, so clearly i screwed up somwhere. any idea why?

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM CDT ----------

...my mint install is at sda1, not 2. does counting in grub start at zero? :/
Old 15th May 2010, 02:15 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox

Hello,

If your mint's grub is on sda1 then:
Quote:
title Mint on sda1
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
That should get you going.

Ky

Last edited by kyryder; 15th May 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 15th May 2010, 02:19 PM
AlexDudko Offline

linuxfirefox

It looks like you have grub2 installed.
Grub.cfg is not meant to be edited manually! It is automatically generated when 'update-grub' command is executed. To change your boot options edit /etc/default/grub and then run update-grub as root.
Old 15th May 2010, 02:19 PM
xuniltoor Offline

windows_7safari

What version of mint? If it is 8 (helena) you are using grub2. Fedora uses legacy grub. Use your mint cd to recover http://gadgetmix.com/index/how-to-restr ... ook-remix/ When you can boot to mint download a program from synaptic called startup-manager. It will find fedora install add to grub2 and give you the option of which one to boot first.
Old 15th May 2010, 02:26 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmild;1359991
[/COLOR
...my mint install is at sda1, not 2. does counting in grub start at zero? :/
Yes grub counts from zero, so if sda1 then (hd0,0)+1

ky

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM CDT ----------

Hold on guys,
He is trying to use Fedora's grub to boot Mint's grub via chainloader. Let's try to keep things simple.

Ky
Old 15th May 2010, 02:33 PM
xuniltoor Offline

windows_7safari

I wonder if anyone is booting a grub2 distro with a legacy grub distro?
Old 15th May 2010, 02:36 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuniltoor View Post
I wonder if anyone is booting a grub2 distro with a legacy grub distro?
I have used Fedora's grub to boot Mint like this without issue.

Ky
Old 15th May 2010, 02:38 PM
xuniltoor Offline

windows_7safari

Ok great that gives me a new project. Thanks Ky.
Old 15th May 2010, 02:47 PM
nickmild Offline

linuxsafari

Thanks for all the help, guys....I wanted to use a chainloader, like Kyle was saying, but even after making another round of changes I was getting errors, so I decided to bite the bullet and spend the time burning a Mint live cd and using it to get what I needed. I'm now booting into Mint, and just reset my grub (which with grub2 is a lot easier haha). I'm going to reboot and make sure that I still have Fedora available as a boot option.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM CDT ----------

It's good to know that this is doable though Ky, something to poke around and try one day...unfortunately I don't have a ton of time to play around right now, hence the haste to get from Fedora to Mint

A great first experience on these boards, as well. Thanks again everyone.
Old 15th May 2010, 02:52 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox

Hello,
I am glad you were able to get things working.

For muilti boot installs I install grub in the the first part of the new installations partition and use a chainloader to point my original grub to the new install's grub. This has worked flawlessly for me with all the OS's I have tried in the last couple of years. Once I got used to this method changing/adding OS's became simple.

Ky

Last edited by kyryder; 15th May 2010 at 03:01 PM.

Tags
dual boot, grub, grub.cfg