Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2010, 12:07 PM
Valent Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Lightbulb Fedora Remix - suggest video, audio and other media

For Community Fedora Remix 13 I will put a “Content” folder on the Desktop that should have some different kinds of media showing and explaining what Fedora and Open Source is and how can it can be used.

Media can’t be too long and should showcase some features of Fedora and apps that come with it.

Currently there are three sub folders as you can see, named Podcast, Remix and Videos. What videos would you put in those folders? What other folders would you create? Maybe examples folder with some example works from GIMP, Inkscape and other programs?

If you have any idea please feel free to share it.

http://fcoremix.wordpress.com/2010/0...d-other-media/

Last edited by Valent; 15th May 2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: better headline
Old 15th May 2010, 01:08 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora Remix - suggest video, audio and other media

I would think that this would be better as a documentation set and not in the users
home directory. Creating a new login could have references to the videos shown
with an option to play...

I think this would be better than having them duplicated for each user.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:12 PM
Valent Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thank for your suggestion
Any suggestions on what media to add or anything else?
Old 15th May 2010, 01:41 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I think some of the beginner tutorials could be put into a "beginner" package - any
(or every) thing from installation, network configuration, command line introduction...

These could be organized into levels of tutorials - from raw beginner (what is
fedora, how to install, common installation problems, adding users, use of SELinux)
, to new facility introduction (building your own kernel for instance, developing
external drivers, creation of filesystems using FUSE). And don't forget dual/triple
booting with windows and other (Fedora/Ubuntu/Windows/BSD...) or virtualization..
of some of the RH documentation sets - GFS for instance, clustering ...

Others could be for creating packages, creating package groups,
maintaining local repository mirrors.

Several of these are already available (via web) but if a new system is installed,
there is no network configured... which makes it difficult to find out unless you also
have another system side by side to to view the guides.

Another possibility is for some of this to be considered promotional videos - included
for the "shoulder surfer" when the user/installer/whoever is asked "what's that...?"
Old 15th May 2010, 05:32 PM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Nice idea. Here are some thoughts:

- Key-mon shows the keys you press on the screen it is a great tool for video-tutorials.
http://code.google.com/p/key-mon/

Unfortunately I didn't find that one in the repos(yum provides *key-mon), so it is manual install for now.

- I like the idea of micro-videos(15 -30 secs). They end up serving as building blocks, and maybe one can make a editor showing all the micro videos to show how to accomplish something just by putting the videos in order maybe not sure it is a good idea but I kind of like the though of it for now until I see the drawbacks.
- The most questions I see on the forums are about video, sound and network related so at least those categories should be there.

- People are not stupid they just don't understand the underlying system, videos with some nice 3D graphics done it in blender could come a long way to making more people understand how things work also people have different mental maps, what is obvious to some are not obvious to others so care must be taken to not make to many assumptions on what the other side should or should not know, in doubt explain everything. I like the 10 years rule, which is to say, explain things like you would to a 10 years old, most people don't like it but I have yet to see any other way that can reach a significant number of people.

e.g.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvoHwFvAvQE

Description: Video from Stanford University explaining pointers.

- Chromakey, I tested a lot of programs and the best results I came out with were done with blender, but it is not intuitive, Cinelerra does have chromakey embeded but little fine tune can be done at least compared to the nodes in Blender so if I needed those, Blender is the go to for me also move matching/tracking can be done in blender with Voodoo and it gives some nice effects, I used to change some plates in some cars footage that were on the streets to test it and the results are good enough for some effects.

- To take some ideas for design I like to use design blogs to see what is cool currently in general they will be ahead of the curve and some ideas can be derived from them(i.e.: shapes, color schemes...).

e.g.:
http://www.tuvie.com/

- Administratively the methods and tools you use should be easy to find and use so many people can join and do things, the difficult part is not doing the videos is maintaining those things, Fedora gets old every 6 months and to redo everything on a large scale kills many initiatives. I was thinking about that the other day and the only thing I could come up with was the phrase "adopt a video" with the idea being that one guy adopts that video to redo every time a new release comes up.

- Sound effects, I like the FreeSound Project for that.
http://www.freesound.org/

Regards.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM CDT ----------

ps: About blender one could do a little town with a funny name like Fedoraland or something. It would be nice to have thing to relate too, and some characters to make some stories LoL

e.g.:

http://durian.blender.org/news/wip-o...-art-rejected/
Old 15th May 2010, 05:36 PM
Valent Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
I think some of the beginner tutorials could be put into a "beginner" package - any
(or every) thing from installation, network configuration, command line introduction...

These could be organized into levels of tutorials - from raw beginner (what is
fedora, how to install, common installation problems, adding users, use of SELinux)
, to new facility introduction (building your own kernel for instance, developing
external drivers, creation of filesystems using FUSE). And don't forget dual/triple
booting with windows and other (Fedora/Ubuntu/Windows/BSD...) or virtualization..
of some of the RH documentation sets - GFS for instance, clustering ...

Others could be for creating packages, creating package groups,
maintaining local repository mirrors.

Several of these are already available (via web) but if a new system is installed,
there is no network configured... which makes it difficult to find out unless you also
have another system side by side to to view the guides.

Another possibility is for some of this to be considered promotional videos - included
for the "shoulder surfer" when the user/installer/whoever is asked "what's that...?"
Great stuff dude! Do you have some links to those videos and are they under some creative commons licence so I can redistribute them?
Old 15th May 2010, 08:49 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

many are from schools - just google for "unix tutorials" will show a LOT of them.

Same goes for video tutorials: "unix video tutorials", one place that looks like
they may be available is: http://unix-tutorial.blogspot.com/

But they would have to be verified, and legally checked for using them in
a tutorial disk. And no - I haven't looked at them.

One problem with videos is that English is almost always used. This is less
of a problem for written english, as the written word doesn't have the
same issue with accents. It is also easier to translate. One thing I have
noticed is that almost none of the players seem to have controls for
selecting different audio tracks (not that it isn't possible, I just haven't
seen them).

Last edited by jpollard; 15th May 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 15th May 2010, 09:22 PM
Valent Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Most tutorials are for Ubuntu Are there any Fedora ones?
Old 15th May 2010, 09:23 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Some of those don't depend on Ubuntu - the vim editing one for instance. The host
was likely Ubuntu, but the topic isn't limited.
Old 16th May 2010, 08:58 PM
Valent Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Not sure how well Fedora users would react to screencast showing Ubuntu, what do you think?
Old 1st June 2010, 02:59 AM
5hady Offline

windows_7opera

I'd like to request a 64-bit version and a gnome login sound. Like any sound really, it was the one thing that always bugged me about Fedora 12+
Old 1st June 2010, 11:01 AM
Valent Offline

linuxsafari

Suggest some cool startup and shutdown sounds and I'll include them in next release.
Old 1st June 2010, 12:25 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

How about a small library of sounds to choose from? 4-5, nothing super elaborate.
Old 1st June 2010, 12:38 PM
Valent Offline

linuxsafari

Sure, just make sure that sounds you find have right licence so that we can distribute it.
Old 9th June 2010, 03:43 AM
bignasty Offline

windows_vistaie

ditto on the 64 bit version.

Tags
fedora, remix