Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 6th January 2011, 08:06 AM
cp16net Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Linksys AE1000 drivers

I have followed through the steps and i am not seeing the ra0 device.

I tried:
Code:
$ sudo ifconfig ra0 up
ra0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
$ iwlist ra0 scan
ra0       Interface doesn't support scanning.
$
I have rebooted after this with no avail.

Only main difference i see between this and my set up is that i am running 11.04 and my device is identified as:
'lsusb'
Code:
Bus 001 Device 019: ID 13b1:002f Linksys AE1000 v1 802.11n [Ralink RT2870]
and by 'sudo tail -f /var/log/messages'
Code:
ubuntu kernel: [ 1157.048100] usb 1-4.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 20
Any ideas?
Old 25th February 2011, 02:14 AM
karari Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I'm having the exact same problem as the previous poster. Any advice?
Old 4th March 2011, 12:12 AM
judderwocky Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

The same problem has presented itself in Ubuntu Forums.

So far no solution has been found

Seems to be an issue with the new kernel build?
Old 8th March 2011, 12:41 AM
Syncope Offline

windows_7firefox

Same issue here too, at least so far. I had this adapter working fine on Ubuntu 10.04 with a method similar to OP's tutorial, but it doesn't work in Fedora 14. Hopefully I can figure something out...I'd much rather use Fedora.
Old 14th March 2011, 07:23 PM
Rude374 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thumbs up Re: Linksys AE1000 drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo View Post
kai4785, why don't you make a kmod RPM package and submit it to RPMFusion? That way you can help more people. I once did that for the kmod-rt2870 driver. It is still being used by many people.
I'm using that KMod.... this USB Wireless card came with my motherboard and I was VERY happy to see that someone already made a driver and it saved me a lot of time compiling and configuring, which I'm still not completely comfortable with (I've been using Linux for a couple of years now).

It sometimes take a few reboots to get it to come up in Fedora 14 w/ XFCE4..... there's errors in dmesg about 'tainted' something or other.... but once it hooks up its solid enough to stream HD from my MythTV backend to the HTPC frontend.... good enough for me!

Rudy
Atlanta, GA
Old 14th March 2011, 07:50 PM
kai4785 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo View Post
kai4785, why don't you make a kmod RPM package and submit it to RPMFusion? That way you can help more people. I once did that for the kmod-rt2870 driver. It is still being used by many people.
I don't actually own the device. I have a buddy who bought one, and I worked out what I needed to in order to get it working. If I owned and used one on a regular basis, you bet I would have built an rpm for myself. Since I last set it up for him, he hasn't run any updates or caused it to break. I don't have reliable remote access to his computer where I could use his machine to test and build on.

I'm also a full-time student, nearly full-time employee, and have a family.

So while I agree it should be done, I simply don't have the resources readily available to me to make it happen. I'm sorry.

To the most recent problems, if the driver compiles and loads (shows up in lsmod), but the device doesn't actually show up, I'm afraid that problem also falls into the category of "not enough resources to test" for me. So sorry. I hope somebody can help.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

To help alleviate the issue, I've updated the RT3572 driver in the original post. Can you guys with issues try the new driver?
Old 16th March 2011, 07:11 AM
grumpusbumpus Offline

windows_7chrome

Greetings,

I am a master's student studying information science at UNC-Chapel Hill and recently decided to delve into Linux for the first time. I am therefore new to the operating system. I followed these instructions for installing the Linksys AE 1000 driver on my Ubuntu system, and they worked perfectly.

It was a great relief to get something working effectively after my struggles with other software over the last two days. Many thanks to Kai for this helpful tutorial!

-Chris Cline
-grumpusbumpus[{at}]gmail[{dot}]com
Old 28th March 2011, 02:38 AM
qtone Offline

windows_xp_2003ie

Hello everyone! I am new to this post (newbie). I am also having a difficult time getting my Linlksys AE 1000 to work on my IBM Thinkpad. I followed all the instructions in the post. When I run "sudo ifconfig ra0 up", I get "device not found". Any help much appreciated.

thx

Last edited by qtone; 29th March 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 9th April 2011, 04:02 PM
clrob Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Followed the directions as listed but get the error message "ra0: error fetching interface information: Device not found" Any suggestions?
Old 27th April 2011, 10:25 AM
Sandman Offline

windows_7chrome

so, funny story, I actually created this account here specifically so I could offer a hand, lol. I was having the same problem as the past 4+ posters, googling the problem I ran across a terrific youtube link that took me through everything and than some. I still had problems after, so I just restarted and now it is doing perfectly fine. the link to the video: youtube
Old 8th August 2011, 10:25 PM
menewbe Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I attempted to follow the script which was defined by user "kai4785" and got stuck at step 5 (make && sudo make install). Received error "make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic-pae/build: No such file or directory. "
How do I resolve this problem.

Current system: Ubuntu version 10.04. Note originally install 9.04 and upgrade to 10.04. Just installed August 8-11. The director /lib/modules/2.6.32-33-generic-pae exist but i still get the error. Help..
Old 8th August 2011, 10:53 PM
kai4785 Offline

linuxredhatfirefox

There are better instructions for how to install on Ubuntu. For instance, I've heard good things about this walk-through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwMiHiaWtPI
Old 9th August 2011, 01:36 AM
menewbe Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

I followed the directions in the Youtube video. The make command processed further but i now get error "*** [LINUX] Error 2". I'm currently review the web but any help is appreciated.

... Some output from make commad:
/home/michael/Desktop/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.c:612: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘RTMPAllocUsbBulkBufStruct’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/michael/Desktop/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.c:34: note: expected ‘VOID **’ but argument is of type ‘struct __TX_BUFFER **’
/home/michael/Desktop/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.c:630: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘RTMPAllocUsbBulkBufStruct’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/michael/Desktop/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.c:34: note: expected ‘VOID **’ but argument is of type ‘UCHAR **’
make[2]: *** [/home/michael/Desktop/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/michael/Desktop/2011_0427_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0.DPO/os/linux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-33-generic-pae'
make: *** [LINUX] Error 2
michael@eligon:~/Desktop/2011_0427_R...A_v2.5.0.0.DPO$
Old 13th August 2011, 12:22 AM
menewbe Offline

windows_7firefox

successfully ran make and make install... However, when I run "sudo modprobe ra0" it returns "module ra0 not found". If i run iwconfig it show: ra0 Ralink STA.

What am i doing wrong?
Old 22nd August 2011, 03:03 AM
Mockba Offline

windows_7chrome

Hey can you please tell me several things. I just started using linux today with this same wireless adapter (Linksys AE1000). I was wondering how I can get into common from Fedora, I've done it on Backtrack but can't figure it out in Fedora. Also, for neither backtrack nor Fedora, I can't get gcc, kernel-headers or kernel-devel, I think all of them for Fedora and kernel-devel for backtrack. how can I get these? I'm booting my computer from the CD that i made from the isos. I have the yum folder that I dled from online plugged into my flash drive but I can't use the yum install. Is there any suggestion that you can give me to solve this problem? Thank you.

I was messing around with your commands in Backtrack for a while but ran into the same problem as one of your posters to which you suggested using yum. It worked for him but not for me for the kernal-devel. I don't quite understand if the burned image iso on my cd that im booting from is hindering my ability to use yum.

Tags
ae1000, drivers, linksys