Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th April 2010, 11:44 AM
jwiz Offline

linuxopera
f13 beta live

does anyone know why the current f13 beta live gnome.iso is 931 mb (and does not fit on 1 cd) whereas the kde-spin .iso is only 698 mb?

Or is this a packaging error?
Old 13th April 2010, 02:54 PM
Simian Man Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: f13 beta live

I'm also wondering this. On the F13 features page, this had been listed as a feature. Now, however, this has been taken off and the target release is unknown. I suppose this means that they decided to target a CD after all and will cut the size down for the final release.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:50 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox

simian_man has it figured exactly right (nice job, man). It was decided to take this off the table for F13 and re-consider for F14. So the beta live image is still at the 1GB point, but the final release will be 700MB again.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 13th April 2010, 11:22 PM
Simian Man Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
simian_man has it figured exactly right (nice job, man). It was decided to take this off the table for F13 and re-consider for F14. So the beta live image is still at the 1GB point, but the final release will be 700MB again.
Cool that makes sense. BTW I'm running F13 beta now with Nouveau and Compiz which is truly astounding to me. I know you had a hand in that so thanks and good job .
Old 13th April 2010, 11:35 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

if by 'had a hand' you mean 'kept asking Ben when it was going to work', absolutely, I take all the credit =)
Old 14th April 2010, 12:20 PM
bennachie Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

While a bit of trimming here and there might do no harm, please don't excise OpenOffice just to reach the 700MB target (dropping GIMP may be OK, given that quite a large proportion of the target population is likely to be quite happy with F-Spot).

If Ubuntu, Mandriva and OpenSuse can achieve that goal within 700MB, so can Fedora. In the longer term, I can't seriously argue with the strategy of using the 1GB USB stick as a measure rather than the 700MB CD.

Anyway, this is definitely a good effort for a Beta (it's already running very successfully on a couple of my computers), and I reckon you are entitled to your fair share of the credit.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:47 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

"If Ubuntu, Mandriva and OpenSuse can achieve that goal within 700MB, so can Fedora."

Ubuntu ships far fewer translations than MDV or Fedora. MDV ships a good amount of translations _and_ OO.o, but it manages this by shipping multiple variants of its live CDs, identical except for the languages that are on them. Fedora's been reluctant to incur this overhead.

Essentially there's always a trade-off - either in lack of language support, lack of software, or complexity.
Old 14th April 2010, 09:50 PM
axet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

probably it should fit on usb-flash and no cd anymore?
Old 14th April 2010, 10:14 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

like I said, that was initially the plan for F13, but we're not entirely happy with the results yet, so it's being delayed.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:35 PM
bennachie Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Thanks for the helpful comment. I thought that Mandriva only issued two flavours of the LiveCD (Europe+Americas and Asia+Africa) which seemed a pretty fair compromise, not requiring too much overhead. I suppose that, being forced to rely on mobile broadband for Internet (Australia is a big country and quite a few regional areas lack access to ADSL) I am particularly sensitive to download volume (especially during the developmental phase of each distribution).

I could survive the installation phase quite happily without access to Australian English but appreciate that most people would benefit from access to their mother tongue. It would be nice to have a mechanism where the basic CD image covered, say, the dozen or so most commonly used languages, but had a facility to stream in any one other translation at the point of initial download (rather than during the subsequent installation process - which is how Ubuntu gets round the problem if you happen to have an open Internet connection at the time, a situation that I carefully avoid).

Nice little project for someone with the necessary expertise.
Old 15th April 2010, 09:33 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

bennachie: it's possible that's the case now, I haven't followed closely since I left MDV. When I was still there, IIRC, there were usually four versions of the live edition.
Old 25th April 2010, 07:11 AM
shadowskill Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I'm happy to know this.
I've always recommended Fedora for people trying a desktop linux distro. But I just wondered how troublesome would it be to upgrade from a Beta than a previous version.

I also liked to try beta versions a month ahead, but I was afraid to get into more time consuming repo and config changes in order to achieve an upgrade in a 'transparent' way like a previous release upgrade..(If I can achieve a cleaner install upgrading a clean Beta install than from a previous version, that's excellent news).
Old 25th April 2010, 09:05 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxsafari

Hi,

Refer to

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrad...lease_to_final
Old 25th April 2010, 09:05 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

linuxsafari

Hi,

Refer to

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrad...lease_to_final
Old 25th April 2010, 11:31 AM
shadowskill Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
Hell, yeah, starting on F13, painless update if choosing an alpha or beta milestone; Rock On!

Tags
beta, f13, live