Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 3rd April 2010, 03:02 PM
mbratch Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Unhappy Going back to Windows (sadly)

I've been a user and configurator of Linux at home for many, many years. I was an early Redhat user and have been a big fan of Fedora.

But recently I've been spending way too much time trying to get basic things like sound and accelerated video just to work on Fedora. I've posted details, log file, and everything and nobody knows the answer. My ALSA sound just hangs. I've tried many posted procedures. My dual boot into Windows XP just works. Sound and video. I can't spend any more time reinstalling Fedora every time the system gets its knickers in a twist over sound configuration.

I do a lot of multitrack sound work on the PC and was excited to see ever improving sound applications on Linux. But right now, it won't even play a CD or an MP3 or a WAV file.

So I'm frustrated. I just want it to work. If I have to pay for a Windows license to get my PC to work, then so be it... :-/ I'll probably get flamed for this, but understand I still am a Linux fan. It's just not working for me right now. Maybe I'll come back to it at some point in the future.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to accept the rewriting of it.
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:09 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Going back to Windows (sadly)

(Moved to rants and raves.)

Understood. Sometimes, we finally remember that the PC is just a tool, and accomplishing the job at hand is the goal. Would but the Linux world was perfect, but sadly ... it is not.
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:24 PM
beaker_ Online

unknownunknown

Best of luck. Yeah Fedora sold on pulseaudio which isn't the best for live work, then again it never profess to be, however it makes a great home setup. Anyway if you reaaly pushing audio then don't waste you cpu on 3d video and you should be using a realtime kerenl anyway. As a starting point, I realy liked Musix and planet CCRA (? Bad spelling ?) And just build from there. Good luck either way.
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:35 PM
mbratch Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker_ View Post
Best of luck. Yeah Fedora sold on pulseaudio which isn't the best for live work, then again it never profess to be, however it makes a great home setup. Anyway if you reaaly pushing audio then don't waste you cpu on 3d video and you should be using a realtime kerenl anyway. As a starting point, I realy liked Musix and planet CCRA (? Bad spelling ?) And just build from there. Good luck either way.
I think you misunderstood my post. I can't even get simple stuff working at this point. I've skipped the video (which wasn't anything fancy, just wanted Fedora to know I had an nVIDIA card and make Google Earth work nice). But for now I just want to get CD/MP3/WAV playing to work. I don't think that's pushing the limits of anything. Originally I had issues with PulseAudio and I found that just removing it and using plain ALSA worked. Then one day, after some number of Fedora updates, I had no sound. Now sound applications, even "play" and "aplay" just hang no matter what I do. This should work on the most basic of hardware.

Last edited by mbratch; 3rd April 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 4th April 2010, 06:41 PM
DavidMcCann Offline

linuxopera

I think the key phrase here is "after some updates". If you install a bleeding-edge distro and go for all the updates, then sooner or later something will break. Perhaps the answer is not Windows, but CentOS or Debian Stable.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:22 AM
mbratch Offline

windows_7safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
I think the key phrase here is "after some updates". If you install a bleeding-edge distro and go for all the updates, then sooner or later something will break. Perhaps the answer is not Windows, but CentOS or Debian Stable.
In hindsight, I can't argue with the wisdom of not installing updates.

But, I would have hoped that a problem like "the 'play' command hangs" would elicit some response from someone about what might be wrong. I got nothin'.

Old 5th April 2010, 12:37 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

There is also Ubuntu Studio. It come already set with all that you will need for music and video production. Debian is OK but quite eccentric to a fault. Fedora just take a lot of tweaking sometimes. Give Ubuntu Studio a try.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 5th April 2010, 01:07 AM
forkbomb Offline

windows_7firefox

This may be asking the totally obvious, but have you tried any other distros? Fedora ain't the only distro, and you have to admit it's got a serious reputation for being bleeding edge.

Seems a bit radical to jump back to WinXP (for which support will be discontinued relatively soon) because a bleeding edge distro doesn't work well on a box or two. (Yes, I'm posting from Windows. Blame the game studios. )
Old 5th April 2010, 02:25 AM
mbratch Offline

windows_7safari

I have used Redhat and Fedora for a long time and I'm quite familiar with them, so I've tended to stick with what I generally know. Also, I do a lot of other things on Linux like software development, etc, and Fedora seems to be flexible enough during install to give me control over what I install in that regard.

I did try Ubuntu more recently but it wasn't very flexible on the installation of packages and I kept hitting issues. My wife's computer I put Ubuntu on. It actually has performance issues (like it doesn't connect properly to Samba shares on my Fedora system for some reason) and I've actually been thinking of moving that one to Fedora.

Can someone help me with the sound problem I'm having? Everything else on Fedora is working fine for me. I don't want to go to Windows, frankly, but geez: sound is fundamental. And it really does "just work" in Windows.

Here's where I'm at right now. I don't have PulseAudio installed (I removed it to get the sound to work earlier, and it did for awhile). I do have Alsa. If I execute "play {wave_file}" from a command line, it just sits there and no sound. If I execute "aplay {wave_file}" same thing, but it tends to show more info. It sits at "0:00". That's about it. Pretty basic. I tried reinstalling PulseAudio but no change (except with PA installed, I do get regular kernel crash reports, but I don't want to digress on that right now). I couldn't find a basic Linux sound debugging discussion that wasn't either (a) ancient (going back pre-Fedora) or (b) assumed it was a PulseAudio problem and went from there. It think it's more fundamental. My Fedora does see the sound card and I can dump info on it from the /proc directory.

Some weeks ago I posted my Alsa info file (on this forum somewhere I think, or maybe it was the Alsa site?). But I never heard boo from anyone.

Last edited by mbratch; 5th April 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 5th April 2010, 02:34 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

See my reply to your sound thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...37#post1348137
Old 5th April 2010, 04:10 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
I have used Redhat and Fedora for a long time and I'm quite familiar with them, so I've tended to stick with what I generally know. Also, I do a lot of other things on Linux like software development, etc, and Fedora seems to be flexible enough during install to give me control over what I install in that regard.
To mirror another above, try CENTOS.
You realize that all of RH is open source and freely distributable, right? And that what you pay for is "support", right? CENTOS ***IS*** RHEL, but free -- built from RHEL sources and is binary compatible, just DEBRANDED. It is absolutely stable, and from the sounds of it, would be a great fit for you. You have the familiarity with the RH/Fedora way of doing things, CENTOS, being stable debranded RHEL will be perfect for you.

If you want to mess with the virus-master, its your choice. The big difference here is that even in Fedora, you HAVE A CHOICE to update or not. In the virus-master, you get the virus whether you like it or not.... which means that sooner or later, it's going to die.
Old 17th April 2010, 07:33 AM
this213 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

You can do what I did and refuse to upgrade past F10 on your primary workstation. Everything still works great for me and if I need something upgraded, I just build the RPM for it.

If you feel the need for the security of a maintained repo, maybe going with droid's suggestion and using CentOS would be better. Personally, I may go back to Gentoo for my workstation soon.

If you want to fix all of your sound problems, remove pulseaudio and install esound.
Old 24th April 2010, 02:13 PM
kweisen Offline

linuxdebianmozilla

I've used several different versions of Fedora as well as a couple of other distros, such as Debian, and almost always spend more time configuring my audio then anything else.
Old 24th April 2010, 03:55 PM
this213 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Your audio system itself, or installing codecs to play media? "Configuring Audio" in Fedora 10 on everything from a 386 to a dual, dual-core opteron for me has always consisted of this:
Code:
# yum remove pulseaudio
# reboot
Installing codecs depends on what you want - I'd suggest looking at http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f10.html though most of what you'd probably need can be had by installing the rpmfusion repo and doing:
Code:
# yum --exclude *devel* install gstreamer*
Old 24th April 2010, 04:47 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Fedora is a high maintenance bruising edge distro. Why not try a Mint/*buntu before switching teams.