Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:41 AM
LinuxGlobe Offline

macossafari
Question Creating GNOME Icon Themes Inquiry

How do I create my own GNOME ICON THEME? I want to replace the Fedora logo on the Start Menu and tweak the other icons as well. I am preparing a Live CD and I could use some help... Thanks in advance!

Markus McLaughlin
linuxglobe on twitter.com
hudsonman35@gmail.com
Hudson, MA, USA
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:09 AM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Creating GNOME Icon Themes Inquiry

http://gnome-look.org/

I get what others did and use it as a template.

you will need the GTK 2.0 and GDM to change things and there is a place somewhere about the splash image which I don't remember where it is located.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM CDT ----------

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/IconThemes
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:06 AM
LinuxGlobe Offline

macossafari
Question Re: Creating GNOME Icon Themes Inquiry

I have another question, if you based a custom Live CD on CentOS rather than Fedora 12, would you do so?
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:24 PM
BugRocks1 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I think I don't quite understand your question, but if I used a spin for my personal use I would modify nothing, if I did it for a company that would depend on them wanting to have the logos of centOS or not or something custom or if a did it for distribution that I want to distribute by myself I would change all that.

About the legal part of it I have no idea, the law is confusing and there are many caveats on it and it can vary from state to state and country to country, but as a rule of thumb do not leave behind any old logo or art(sound or image), the software is open source but the art may be not and the trademarks are certainly not open.

You can always contact the CentOS developer and ask for permission or get permission from fedora or red hat to use some things.
Old 24th March 2010, 02:17 AM
schotty Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I would like to say, that if you do use CentOS, please tailor it to your company if this is for any public use. And add in the IT tech support info. I do recall the article on the idiot who thought it was CentOS's responsibility for his computer problems, when it was his ISP rather. Lets try to leave them out of tech support contacts

Not saying you work with idiots, but there are alot of people who may not remember or have it slip their mind than we may like to admit (hell, it happens to me).

Tags
creation, icon themes, icons