Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 21st March 2010, 05:31 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
vendor discussion -- split from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
... Newegg has better prices and customer service?
Hmmm.

That's a matter of opinion, of course. Which is not to say Tiger has a particularly stellar reputation. <....>

I'll admit it was a number of years ago, but both Newegg and Amazon's systems were hacked and a whopping load of customer credit card details were stolen. Thankfully my business card was issued through a local bank and they caught it before it got really ugly, but it took an unaccountably long time for them (Newegg and Amazon) to fess up to what had happened, and to start notifying and protecting their customers. My bank was aware of it and notified them something was amiss 15 days before the emails went out to customers.

In the meantime, a lot of people got nailed. Took a while to get the whole unsavory mess cleared up for a lot of folks. (Including the county purchasing agent/department.) So I haven't been any too whizzed up at the idea of doing business with either one since then. And if I do, I do it on a basically disposable minimum limit card account.
Old 21st March 2010, 05:40 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_7firefox
Re: I want a new computer.

A bit paranoid if you ask me my friend.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 21st March 2010, 05:46 AM
forkbomb Offline

windows_7firefox

There are a number of things where "paranoid" (which, I might add, is a smear word 9 times of 10) is warranted. Identity and personal credit are two of the things about which I totally understand "paranoia."

As for Tiger vs. Newegg, prices are generally a toss-up when I'm looking. It always seems that if one side's substantially cheaper, the other is offering cheaper shipping, and it more or less evens out.

I don't like Tiger's website, so I stick with Newegg. I've never had to deal with their customer service reps because I've always had good products from them (excepting one power supply that died after a week, but it was promptly RMAd with no questions asked and I never had to talk to a rep).
Old 21st March 2010, 06:00 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
A bit paranoid if you ask me my friend.
Uhm ... Yeah. And your point?

I mean, call me crazy, but I'll be dipped in lukewarm gook if I'll ever trust a credit card number connected to a five/six digit account with someone who took 15 days to notify me that my info had been compromised.

Hey! Wait a dang minute ... you did just call me crazy! <....>

Uh, huh. OK. You just wait right here while i go get my hat. <....>

<....>
Old 21st March 2010, 06:03 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_7firefox

This is why there are prepaid debit cards. You could use them to take advantage of a good deal at Newegg.

Old 21st March 2010, 06:54 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Indeed I could, but that's a right proper pain in the hind pockets, when all I have to do is pick up the phone and contact my service rep at Global, chat with her for a few minutes, about her kid's latest antics, give her the part numbers and shipping preferences, and I'm good to go. I think the gal I used to deal with over there (she left the company three years ago to have another kid) was part psychic. About half the time when I called, she already knew what I was after. She kept very good notes, too. I never had to tell her what my gear was more than once.

*Sigh!* I guess maybe I am just too much old school and not willing to chase the pennies any more. The prices usually boil out within a few cents anyway, but honestly, I'm actually very willing to pay more for that kind of customer service.
Old 21st March 2010, 07:00 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Uh, oh! I think we've taken over Glenn's thread. I'll just move this over to a new one so he can get on with his business ...
Old 21st March 2010, 07:50 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_7firefox
Re: vendor discussion

Dan the prepaid thing was painless for us when we needed it. Just went down to Safeway and got the card and loaded it. Registered it on the net when we got home and it's good to go.

Old 21st March 2010, 10:03 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: vendor discussion

Had our Chase card hacked once. Someone bought 2 tickets to South America. Something on the order of $1500 - $2000 Then they tried to spend $500 more somewhere else. Unsettling to say the least. Fortunately for us, Chase caught it, closed the account and issued new cards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB