Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th March 2010, 01:23 PM
Nordwin Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Display Brightness Problem on EeePC 1005PE

Hey guys,
I recently installed F12 on my EeePC1005PE and I kind of have a problem with my display brightness:
With the Kernel I currently use (2.6.31.12-174.2.22.fc12.i686) I can use all brightness settings, but the way they are arranged is pretty erratic: when I use my function keys (by the way: the GNOME display brightness panel add-in does the same thing) to set it to the lowest setting it is actually at a guessed 85%. when I then press the ”brighter“ button, it gets brighter for the next two presses, up to the brightest setting. then comes the dimmest, then it gradually gets brighter (with some very bright settings somewhere in the middle added in), up until to a medium bright setting... then comes a big jump and the last three presses all give the brightest setting again.
Now, this is something I can honestly live with, since the "dim screen when idle" sets it to a rather dim setting, and I normally work in the brightest setting anyway.

But here now comes the real problem: In the newer kernels, I cannot get to the brightest setting! also, the settings are arranged in a different order (<= not the problem, just added confusion on my part. the “cannot get to brightest setting“ is the problem).
that is very annoying, since I cannot use the 2.6.32.x kernels that way. And the time will come where I'll have to make the switch to a newer kernel, I think.

So, the question now is: is there a way to manually define the brightness settings? or does anybody know a different thing I could try? because I am kind of lost on this problem.....

and if you need any more information on my settings/computer/anything, I'd be more than happy to provide. The trouble is, since I have no clue where the problem lies, I do not know what to provide... So please, just ask ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
One extra question I forgot:
Does Fedora keep old kernels until you manually delete them? because I have currently set the kernel-package on hold, out of fear of losing the working kernel...

Last edited by Nordwin; 16th March 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 19th March 2010, 03:03 AM
squirtboy197 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Display Brightness Problem on EeePC 1005PE

well i was reading some other post around and found xgamma -gamma X.X will reduce the amount of red blue and yellow that appear on your computer. The major problem with this solution is that it does not actualy dim your screen, instead it just makes all the colors darder and the white then just sticks out even more. So it might help solve your problem but i do not think that is is a very good option
Old 20th March 2010, 11:15 PM
WarDub Offline

windows_7safari
Lightbulb Re: Display Brightness Problem on EeePC 1005PE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordwin View Post
So, the question now is: is there a way to manually define the brightness settings? or does anybody know a different thing I could try? because I am kind of lost on this problem.....
Adding "acpi_osi=Linux" to the kernel line in grub fixed the erratic brightness on my 1005PE

Personally, I've got fedora 12 running solid on my 1005PE using Quasar8000's http://www.fedora-netbook.com kernel. Read through his how-to's.

Also check this thread for other tips:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=83344

Hope this helps
Old 20th March 2010, 11:56 PM
Nordwin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Display Brightness Problem on EeePC 1005PE

Hey, that "acpi_osi=Linux" fixed the main problem, thank you! I'll look into the links, tomorrow, thanks!
Closed Thread