Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 28th February 2010, 10:02 PM
wangmaster Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
linuxfedorafirefox
Can't wake from sleep with USB keyboard or mouse

I've configured my F12 system to go to sleep when idle for a period of time and so far everything has been working out well except that it appears that the USB ports are completely dead with the system is put into sleep. I can't wake it using keyboard or mouse. only with the power button. Anyoen else experience this or know how to allow sleep from keyboard/mouse?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 1st March 2010, 07:11 AM
CSchwangler Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,535
linuxfedorafirefox
Some details about your hardware could help diagnosing your problem. Are you using Gnome or KDE?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 1st March 2010, 10:45 AM
green-cat-fed Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 85
windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangmaster View Post
I've configured my F12 system to go to sleep when idle for a period of time and so far everything has been working out well except that it appears that the USB ports are completely dead with the system is put into sleep. I can't wake it using keyboard or mouse. only with the power button. Anyoen else experience this or know how to allow sleep from keyboard/mouse?
same problem here..already opened a fedora-thread but no one answers..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 1st March 2010, 11:07 AM
David Batson Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,234
linuxopera
On my ThinkPad, it is the Fn button that I use to wake from Suspend to RAM (or I can open the display lid if it is closed). For Hibernation to Disc, I have to use the Power button. This is normal for a ThinkPad laptop. The TrackPoint mouse will only turn the screen backlight back on when using display power management. The TrackPoint mouse will not wake from Suspend or Hibernate.
__________________
Fedora 19 Gnome on a ThinkPad X220, i5-2540M CPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel N 6205 wireless, and Sierra Wireless 754S Mobile Hotspot (AT&T)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1st March 2010, 12:03 PM
JEO Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,787
linuxfedorafirefox
It's normal for any motherboard to remove the +5V power from the USB ports when sleeping in the S3 state. I use the power button to wake mine up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1st March 2010, 02:01 PM
wangmaster Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
macossafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
It's normal for any motherboard to remove the +5V power from the USB ports when sleeping in the S3 state. I use the power button to wake mine up.
Aahh. Do you know how this works in windows? Do they not use S3 state?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 1st March 2010, 03:49 PM
green-cat-fed Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 85
windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEO View Post
It's normal for any motherboard to remove the +5V power from the USB ports when sleeping in the S3 state. I use the power button to wake mine up.
Hallo, i dont use usb mouse/keyboard but use ps2 input devices, but im having problems (or is this enables for fedora?). i cant wakeup my PC (not laptop) using keyboard/mouse, i need to switch power button..this is what i dont like now..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 1st March 2010, 04:00 PM
JEO Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,787
linuxfedorafirefox
If it is waking up in Windows then it may only be in the S1 standby state, which doesn't shut as much down as S3 sleep state.

If your PS/2 devices aren't waking, check your motherboard manual, usually there is a jumper to provide power to the ps/2 devices (an option) or it might be a BIOS option (allow wake on ps/2).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 1st March 2010, 04:07 PM
leigh123linux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-cat-fed View Post
Hallo, i dont use usb mouse/keyboard but use ps2 input devices, but im having problems (or is this enables for fedora?). i cant wakeup my PC (not laptop) using keyboard/mouse, i need to switch power button..this is what i dont like now..

Why the angry smiley? at least your PC wakes up (unlike mine)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 1st March 2010, 05:16 PM
wangmaster Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Why the angry smiley? at least your PC wakes up (unlike mine)
No kidding. F12 was the first Fedora release where ACPI sleep actually worked on my machines since the APM days .

Quote:
If it is waking up in Windows then it may only be in the S1 standby state, which doesn't shut as much down as S3 sleep state.

If your PS/2 devices aren't waking, check your motherboard manual, usually there is a jumper to provide power to the ps/2 devices (an option) or it might be a BIOS option (allow wake on ps/2)
I did some more googling and prior to Vista, Windows just didn't go into S3 when USB devices existed. It looks like in Vista and Windows 7 though, they've blacklisted known bad USB devices, and are able to do S3 sleep with USB wake.

I know my BIOS is configured to allow USB wake. Wonder if there's a deficiency in the Linux kernel somewhere. I'll do some more digging when I have time.

This is all for my desktop system, and I no longer have ps/2 devices unfortunately. [what is this legacy ps/2 thing you refer to ]

I usually wake my thinkpad t61p by either opening the lid or pushing the power button, but even back in APM days, laptop keyboards wouldn't wake the system so that I'm used to.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 1st March 2010, 10:31 PM
hball01 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Age: 57
Posts: 5
windows_xp_2003ie
This works for me.

Assuming you have power on the USB port (which can be confiruable through the BIOS or pins on your mobo), as suggested above...

use this command "cat /proc/acpi/wakeup" to see if your USB ports are enabled for allowing wakeup. Only my PS2 keyboard was enabled by default. Then, you can use this command to enable a device on USB0 to wake your system: "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup". Assuming your keyboard is on USB0. Su into root to use these commands. If it works for you, you'll have to put it in one of your boot scripts. Also, the enable/disable is a toggle. Execute the echo a 2nd time to disable.

I've see better explinations for this, but can't find a good one at the moment, however, this one works:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/419985
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:38 PM
wangmaster Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 145
macossafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball01 View Post
Assuming you have power on the USB port (which can be confiruable through the BIOS or pins on your mobo), as suggested above...

use this command "cat /proc/acpi/wakeup" to see if your USB ports are enabled for allowing wakeup. Only my PS2 keyboard was enabled by default. Then, you can use this command to enable a device on USB0 to wake your system: "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup". Assuming your keyboard is on USB0. Su into root to use these commands. If it works for you, you'll have to put it in one of your boot scripts. Also, the enable/disable is a toggle. Execute the echo a 2nd time to disable.

I've see better explinations for this, but can't find a good one at the moment, however, this one works:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/419985

That did it. Thanks for the explanation. Now that I know what to look for a little directed googling finds alot of similar discussions. Was able to use /proc/acpi/wakup directly or acpitool to toggle the USB device.

It'd be nice if there was a simpler way than looking through dmesg to identify which device is attached to which USB hub (especially since modern PCs with lots of USB ports have like half a dozen or more distinct hubs) but it definitely works. Be nice if there was some way to automatically activate a class of device (say input).

But for now, figuring out which USBX device my mouse and keyboard are and activating them automatically works quite well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21st February 2011, 05:56 PM
RalphCC Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London UK
Posts: 143
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Can't wake from sleep with USB keyboard or mouse

Surely there should be a better way of doing this than Echo in a script.
Shouldn't it be configurable in Power Management under Preferences, how do I suggest this? .
This installation of F14 doesn't wake on ps2 keyboard.
Ralph
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25th February 2011, 03:42 PM
RalphCC Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London UK
Posts: 143
linuxfedorafirefox
Slightly silly question

If I edit this file ( /proc/acpi/wakeup ) do i put 'enabled' instead of 'disabled' or some other word. Seems much better than adding lines by cat etc.
I don't know what the word is because all lines say disabled .
Thanks for any help

Last edited by RalphCC; 25th February 2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add name
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25th February 2011, 04:00 PM
hball01 Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Age: 57
Posts: 5
windows_xp_2003chrome
Re: Can't wake from sleep with USB keyboard or mouse

I'm not an expert, but this is the way I understand it: /proc/acpi/wakeup is not a file you can edit. It's a hook (like a pipe to a device driver maybe?) into the OS that reacts to input. (Read above) execute: "echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup" will enable USB0. Don't confuse this with overwriting a text file with a character string. This command will configure the OS to enable USB0 (change 0 to the USB # of your choice), and in return, the OS will display the current status in /proc/acpi/wakeup. You can see the current state by "cat /proc/acpi/wakeup". I know it looks like a text file, but it's not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
keyboard, mouse, sleep, usb, wake

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fc10, mouse won't wake after sleep allowners Using Fedora 2 10th February 2009 03:23 AM
Sleep works, wake doesn't gohanman Hardware & Laptops 6 7th August 2008 05:12 PM
Network Wake from Sleep State webdev Servers & Networking 0 6th July 2008 02:55 PM
Kernel 2.6.17 has screwed up my wake from sleep GrayFox Hardware & Laptops 4 25th June 2006 03:15 AM
FC2 goes into Sleep/Standby and can't wake up knoppix Using Fedora 0 12th June 2004 05:04 AM


Current GMT-time: 13:55 (Wednesday, 22-10-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
Lepe - Nahiyat Ghammas - Senaki Travel Photos on Instagram