FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help convincing Anaconda to upgrade from Fedora 10

    I'm trying to upgrade from Fedora 10.

    I have a RAID1 system with the following partitions in the stated order:

    1. a multiboot grub RAID1 partition
    2. a RAID1 system partition
    3. a swap partition
    4. a RAID1 data partition (with /home, etc).


    This used to be a Fedora 6 system, and I've upgraded to Fedora 7, then Fedora 8, Fedora 9, and then to Fedora 10 using the DVD installation image booting from a USB stick with no problem. The Fedora 10 installer detected my existing installation in the 2nd partition, and went to work.

    I tried to get to Fedora 11, but Anaconda bailed with an exception complaining that FSSet had no attributes.

    Thinking things might be better with Fedora 12, I tried going straight to Fedora 12 from Fedora 10. In this case Anaconda didn't get an exception, but doesn't give me the option to upgrade. Apparently it thinks this is a pristine system and is hell bent on a clean install.

    What do I have to do to convince Anaconda to upgrade my Fedora 10 system?

    ---------- Post added at 07:52 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM CST ----------

    The problem is that the Fedora 12 installer (unlike the previous ones) does not start the RAID1 arrays prior to scanning for live systems. The RAID1 partitions have type 0xfd.

    At the Welcome to Fedora splash screen (either in text mode or GUI mode), use the ALT-CTRL-Fn or ALT-Fn sequence to get a shell. I mounted the system partition as ext3 readonly and copied out /etc/mdadm.conf to /etc/. I then started the RAID1 system and data arrays manually (eg mdadm -A /dev/md1).

    Then switch back to the splash screen and continue the installation. With the RAID arrays running, the installer can find the existing installation and offers the upgrade screen.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    With the RAID arrays running, the installer can find the existing installation and offers the upgrade screen.
    does this mean your issue is solved?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madhavdiwan
    does this mean your issue is solved?
    It means that I have a workaround as I've described.

    I still consider this a bug because I believe the upgrade procedure (even on RAID1 systems) should work out of the box as it used to (eg the Fedora 10 installer). I've logged the issue as a bug:

    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=569098

Similar Threads

  1. HELP: Making the Switch... Need convincing...
    By WolfyAU82 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th August 2009, 02:29 PM
  2. Can't install Fedora 11 directly, or upgrade from Fedora 10. Anaconda won't detect HD
    By lukea in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th July 2009, 08:27 AM
  3. Upgrade Fedora 9 to 10: Anaconda complains "Duplicate Labels"
    By manuel.studer in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th February 2009, 10:37 AM
  4. Upgrade FC2 to 3 using Anaconda
    By gholmes77 in forum EOL (End Of Life) Versions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th September 2005, 05:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •