Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2010, 02:33 AM
nimnull22 Offline

linuxopera
Need LiveCD for the video test, explanation inside.

Hi.

I experience big problem with new 2.6.31.x kernel and my Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML.
I have F12 fully updated and I have checked LiveCD OpenSuse 11.2, all of them have the same kernel 2.6.31. And on both OS I see the color's blink, it is most noticeable on gray background. It is blinking as well as everything else on the screen. Or may be it better call - flicker. I don't know really. But colors are not solid, not constant - they are blinking. And ayes can see it.
I try to change anything I can: X11 driver, frame buffer driver, lpj. Without any visible success.
I have second OS on the same laptop with 2.6.27 kernel - nothing is blinking, all colors are solid, stable. That is why I notice the difference - laptop the same, video chip the same - picture is different.
So I admitted that it is kernel problem and I want to test Fedora13.
I can't install new OS, I do not have enough HDD space.

I want to ask anyone, if it is possible can one make a livecd for me to check video system on my chipset. I do not need anything special - any X11 decktop, as smaller as possible.

Thank you.
Old 25th February 2010, 02:49 AM
hephasteus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
It's probably best to stick to your old system.
Linux is undergoing massive changes with video and they can't block release for every single video card. There's probably a dozen major complete video systems that just won't work with it right now and probably far more strange combination systems that don't work.
You can just use the old system and change the 12 install to boot to run level 3. Then just yum update it from time to time and see if they got you going yet.
I'm locked out of the latest .32 kernel as i have no video system that will work on it but the first .32 kernel I can run. I'll probably be fixed on the next .32 kernel release as they find bugs. One of my cards just won't work with anything other than proprietary driver which I've ran before and only care about testing with it when it gets working.
So if your in and want to test, test. If your out then just hang back until they get you going.
Old 25th February 2010, 02:54 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimnull22 View Post
Hi.

I experience big problem with new 2.6.31.x kernel and my Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML.
I have F12 fully updated and I have checked LiveCD OpenSuse 11.2, all of them have the same kernel 2.6.31. And on both OS I see the color's blink, it is most noticeable on gray background. It is blinking as well as everything else on the screen. Or may be it better call - flicker. I don't know really. But colors are not solid, not constant - they are blinking. And ayes can see it.
I try to change anything I can: X11 driver, frame buffer driver, lpj. Without any visible success.
I have second OS on the same laptop with 2.6.27 kernel - nothing is blinking, all colors are solid, stable. That is why I notice the difference - laptop the same, video chip the same - picture is different.
So I admitted that it is kernel problem and I want to test Fedora13.
I can't install new OS, I do not have enough HDD space.

I want to ask anyone, if it is possible can one make a livecd for me to check video system on my chipset. I do not need anything special - any X11 decktop, as smaller as possible.

Thank you.
the Alpha of F13 should be released next week which will include a LiveCD, i would check it then with the 2.6.33 kernel
Old 25th February 2010, 03:11 AM
nimnull22 Offline

linuxopera
Thanks to all of you.

I will wait, test and post here the result.

I want to use Fedora, but can't because of the video.
Hope .33 kernel will work like .27 with may card.

Thanks again.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:52 PM
rockdoctor Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
You could always try the latest nightly compose
Registered Linux user #360200
Old 25th February 2010, 09:26 PM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.or...ha.RC3/Fedora/

F12 with the 31 kernel is so 10 weeks ago.

I think the above is close enough to to determine if your mobile video will work.
I have intel on F13 with 33 and it work fine.
But the kernel is only part of the deal, you need the right drv and xorg server.

In fact f13 is working so well I think all newbie's are nuts to start with f12 at this point.
Jump on f13 and you'll bypass so many buggy situations I couldn't count them in an hour.

SJ
Old 25th February 2010, 09:34 PM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
I agree with SlowJet. I updated to F13 almost 2 weeks ago, and it's been running great.

dd_wizard
Old 25th February 2010, 09:36 PM
Demz

windows_7firefox
http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.or...-i686-Live.iso F13 LiveCD
Old 26th February 2010, 01:01 AM
nimnull22 Offline

linuxopera
Will try, I was always open to everything new.

Thanks
Old 26th February 2010, 01:29 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
from what i hear your probably better off to wait till the official Alpha comes out as these rC's an probably the liveCD might be or have broken bits in it

2010-03-09 Alpha Release

Last edited by Demz; 26th February 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 26th February 2010, 01:47 AM
nimnull22 Offline

linuxopera
1. What is "LiveVD"?
2. Where the official release will be available?

Thanks
Old 26th February 2010, 01:59 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
i meant LiveCD ( corrected the typo)

the official Alpha release posted above on that Date, where you'll find it is here http://fedoraproject.org/ or you can get it on http://distrowatch.com/
Old 19th March 2010, 03:14 AM
nimnull22 Offline

linuxopera
Re: Need LiveCD for the video test, explanation inside.

I would like to say thanks to developers.

I have just checked F13-Alpha-i686-Live-KDE.iso from 26-Feb-2010 01:29 and want to confirm that my i915GM shows normal screen picture without any flickers or blinkers.
Thanks again.

I have some question - as I understand if I install this ALFA release, it wont be any updates latter and it wont become normal Fedora 13. Right?

I am asking because at present time I do not have possibility to download a lot.

Thanks.
Old 19th March 2010, 04:20 AM
CiaW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Need LiveCD for the video test, explanation inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimnull22 View Post
I would like to say thanks to developers.

I have some question - as I understand if I install this ALFA release, it wont be any updates latter and it wont become normal Fedora 13. Right?

I am asking because at present time I do not have possibility to download a lot.

Thanks.
There will be updates. However, some or many of them will be done using 'presto' or 'delta rpms'; which means that once a package is installed, the updates will consist of the difference in the file that makes up the update (i.e. 'delta') rather than downloading the entire updated package. So updates are generally not huge.

One problem though, is when yum presents you with a list of available updates it will show you the full download size and you don't know what the smaller delta rpm size is until you say 'yes' to download and then it'll do the delta download and rebuild and tell you what the size difference was.

And for the 2nd question, it will become normal or 'official release' Fedora 13.

Tags
explanation, inside, livecd, test, video