Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th February 2010, 03:28 PM
satimis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
About selecting search engine

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a simple and reliable search engine for searching particular content on the files in the storage database. The output will display files' name and their path. Google search found following site:- "List of search engines";
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines

There are many of them. I have no idea how to make my selection. Could you please shed me some light. TIA

Furthermore can a simple shell command do the same job?

B.R.
satimis
Old 15th February 2010, 09:35 PM
Dies Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by satimis View Post
I'm looking for a simple and reliable search engine for searching particular content on the files in the storage database.
Could be just me, but before I can even consider a suggestion I would need to know...

What storage database?
Old 16th February 2010, 02:47 AM
satimis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies View Post
- snip -

What storage database?
Hi Dies,

I just save all files for future reference to a master directory. Under it there are many subdirectories. If I need to find a "xyz" content on files, instead of reading through the files I expect to find them with a command and/or a simple search engine.

Thanks

B.R.
satimis
Old 16th February 2010, 03:05 AM
Dies Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
I see, so what you're really after is a "Desktop" search engine.

Personally I recommend tracker along with tracker-search-tool, in my experience it works well, of course your mileage may vary. Other options include Beagle, Strigi and... I think that's it.

As far as shell commands go, you can use 'locate' or 'find' when you know the name or part of the name of the file you're looking for. For actually searching through files looking for a string you can use 'grep'

i.e.

grep -niHR "some string" .

would look recursively through every file trying to find a match for "some string" and print the filename along with the line number that matched, though if you have a lot of folders/files in the current directory this will probably be much slower than using something which indexes your files.
Old 16th February 2010, 03:14 AM
satimis Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies View Post
I see, so what you're really after is a "Desktop" search engine.

Personally I recommend tracker along with tracker-search-tool, in my experience it works well, of course your mileage may vary. Other options include Beagle, Strigi and... I think that's it.
Hi Dies,

Thanks for your advice. I'll take a look on them.

Quote:
As far as shell commands go, you can use 'locate' or 'find' when you know the name or part of the name of the file you're looking for. For actually searching through files looking for a string you can use 'grep'

i.e.

grep -niHR "some string" .

would look recursively through every file trying to find a match for "some string" and print the filename along with the line number that matched, though if you have a lot of folders/files in the current directory this will probably be much slower than using something which indexes your files.
Previously I used a shell command line to do the job. It took long time to finish. Because the total content of all files under search is about 2G in capacity. The content to be searched may not be reflected on file name.

B.R.
satimis

Tags
engine, search, selecting