Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 15th February 2010, 07:55 AM
PowerUp Offline

windows_7mozilla
Fedora 12 a users view point

Ive follow fedora from the first release
Fedora 12 was a big let down.
Why is so hard to install 3 party nvidia in Fedora 12.
What happen to its user friendliness ?
Why all make is so annoying to use having to switch off annoying nags etc...
Some areas should be already refined which there not.
Fedora 11 was by far more user friendly.
Hopefully when fedora 13 comes out its a lot more user friendly...
Gone back to using fedora 11 for now.
Old 15th February 2010, 08:40 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
why its so hard? cause you dont follow easy steps leigh has made. its not that hard if you follow it
Old 15th February 2010, 09:30 AM
jeffsherman001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Angry My Very Disappointing Experience with Fedora 12

I am having some serious problems, too. The first one is that Fedora doesn't boot up about half the time. I get a page with a boot status error and a lot of text. That's some of the time. Other times the Fedora icon appears in the middle of the screen, and the booting process stops right there .Other times there has just been a blank screen after I enter my passord, and the process stops.

Also, I cannot play DVDs with the Totem Movie Player. There is an error that says "URI handler not implemented for DVD." I have looked at multiple postings regarding the issue, mostly for Ubuntu. The only solution that might work is to download "totem-xine," but darned if I can figure out how to do that. Then, there are the downloads that I can't figure out how to install. No good old Install Wizard like Windows OSs.

The worst problem is the fact that Flash Player is not supported. I cannot watch my TV programs on the networks Web sites. I cannot listen to Pandora or last.fm.com, two Internet streaming radio services. That means that I cannot do most of the things I used to do on my computer.

I would like to go back to Windows 7. I had no idea this Linux system would be so inadequate. It would cost me $200 to have the hard drive wiped (including the partitions) and reinstall Windows.

The only good thing I've experienced so far is the brightness and contrast of the user interface and the beneficial changes in appearance of the top panel, desktop, and browser pages. I was able to change the font size and set the text to bold with no problem. The top panel looks really cool as it is now transparent. I've been able to add the date and time there, too. These improvements to my Fedora 12 experience are faint praise from someone who only had a very minor problem with Windows 7 and decided to rebel a little at Microsoft.

By the way, I have a new Acer computer (bought in August of last year) with all the bells and whistles. At least, it had them before I decided to experiment with Linux. I can see I made a huge mistake (another big mistake was installing the system on the hard drive, when I could have just left it on the CD).

Anybody who has any ideas about repairing these problems, especially the one with Flash Player, please let me know. An imminent fix would keep me from paying big bucks to my computer guy.

Thanks.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:48 AM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Firstly, DVD's. I suspect that you need to codecs install, this will require installing the rpmfusion repositry As for flash have you tried installing flash player and are getting problems, or have you not installed it?

I suggest you click on the flashing link at the top of this page "Fedora Set-Up Guides". I think what you need most is the AutoTen link (also I would read through mjmwired's guide it will explain a few things I believe.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:56 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsherman001 View Post
I am having some serious problems, too. The first one is that Fedora doesn't boot up about half the time. I get a page with a boot status error and a lot of text. That's some of the time. Other times the Fedora icon appears in the middle of the screen, and the booting process stops right there .Other times there has just been a blank screen after I enter my passord, and the process stops.

Also, I cannot play DVDs with the Totem Movie Player. There is an error that says "URI handler not implemented for DVD." I have looked at multiple postings regarding the issue, mostly for Ubuntu. The only solution that might work is to download "totem-xine," but darned if I can figure out how to do that. Then, there are the downloads that I can't figure out how to install. No good old Install Wizard like Windows OSs.

The worst problem is the fact that Flash Player is not supported. I cannot watch my TV programs on the networks Web sites. I cannot listen to Pandora or last.fm.com, two Internet streaming radio services. That means that I cannot do most of the things I used to do on my computer.

I would like to go back to Windows 7. I had no idea this Linux system would be so inadequate. It would cost me $200 to have the hard drive wiped (including the partitions) and reinstall Windows.

The only good thing I've experienced so far is the brightness and contrast of the user interface and the beneficial changes in appearance of the top panel, desktop, and browser pages. I was able to change the font size and set the text to bold with no problem. The top panel looks really cool as it is now transparent. I've been able to add the date and time there, too. These improvements to my Fedora 12 experience are faint praise from someone who only had a very minor problem with Windows 7 and decided to rebel a little at Microsoft.

By the way, I have a new Acer computer (bought in August of last year) with all the bells and whistles. At least, it had them before I decided to experiment with Linux. I can see I made a huge mistake (another big mistake was installing the system on the hard drive, when I could have just left it on the CD).

Anybody who has any ideas about repairing these problems, especially the one with Flash Player, please let me know. An imminent fix would keep me from paying big bucks to my computer guy.

Thanks.
Take a breath. It's not that bad. Many people can help you. First, on this forum page, look at the top right where the blue flashing light is. Follow the link that's right next to the blue flashing light. There are three guys who have worked hard so you don't have to. The easiest, one that I always use, is Autoten. It works really well.

While some things in Fedora might be similar to Windows, it is just coincidence. That said, Fedora is not for everyone, but if you give it a fighting chance, it just might surprise you. You are right though, you probably should not have taken the plunge. If you think you must put W7 back on your system, I'm sure there is someone here who can help you with that.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 15th February 2010, 11:09 AM
PowerUp Offline

windows_7mozilla
followed it to the letter just wouldn't work
and i hand it to 3 IT guys and they couldn't get it go either

Component Details
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Gaming graphics 1279 MB
Primary hard disk (298GB Total)

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model P5K-E
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
Disk partition (C 226 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Media drive (D CD/DVD
Media drive (E CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Total available graphics memory 1279 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.11.9621
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
Old 15th February 2010, 11:55 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
(moved to Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream)
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 15th February 2010, 03:38 PM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The first the I like to do when I log into Fedora for the first time is to open a terminal and do:

"su
password
yum -y update"

Then I do

yum -y install firefox

Then I do:

reboot

When it comes back online I install Autoten per the instructions you will find on the tutorial at the blue light. This installs really fast. Then you find the icon in your start menu in System.

Just click on the Autoten Icon and select the things you want to install. Having Firefox installed first will give Autoten a place to put the adobe flash plugin.

Autoten will install everything but the Nvidia driver. Unless you are wanting the 3D graphics, you can stick with the default driver for the time being. Otherwise, there is a tutorial on installing the right Nvidia driver for your machine.

I'm not sure if this is your first time with Fedora, but welcome aboard. You just need to get your sea legs and you'll be fine. Just think, once you personally fix this thing, you can teach you IT team a thing or two. Have fun. There's a lot of help on this forum. I'm just an "end user" and simply would rather push buttons, but there are guys on this forum that grew up with Linux before Linux was even a word.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 15th February 2010, 08:05 PM
SwampKracker Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUp View Post
followed it to the letter just wouldn't work
and i hand it to 3 IT guys and they couldn't get it go either

Component Details
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Gaming graphics 1279 MB
Primary hard disk (298GB Total)

System

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model P5K-E
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
Disk partition (C 226 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Media drive (D CD/DVD
Media drive (E CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Total available graphics memory 1279 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.11.9621
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
I have been using the Nvidia proprietary drivers for several versions of Fedora and have the same experience every time. It always works. No special tricks. Just need the packages to build the driver module.
Old 16th February 2010, 01:57 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
You probably should start over and use the 64 bit version especially because you have the quad processor...I would...and when you build it, reserve 16 gigs for your swap...that's just in case you want to add more RAM down the road. It's easier to do this now than to wait and have to back-up your whole system again.

Old 16th February 2010, 03:27 AM
CiaW Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelaworkn View Post
You probably should start over and use the 64 bit version especially because you have the quad processor...I would...and when you build it, reserve 16 gigs for your swap...that's just in case you want to add more RAM down the road. It's easier to do this now than to wait and have to back-up your whole system again.
Depending on what you'll be doing with your system, I don't think more than 3-5gb of swap is needed even if you had 4+gb of ram. I have 2gb of ram and the only time I've seen swap used is when I used to be able to hibernate. (The hibernate option disappeared recently...)

I have an AMD triple core 2.3ghz, and even when having K9copy create an iso from a video dvd while I was installing an update, no swap was used. I am using the 64bit version, fwiw.
Old 16th February 2010, 03:33 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Okay, I'm dense, but wasn't it that 2X swap to RAM went out the window ages ago (like at 256meg?). The way I understood it was that the more RAM you have, the less swap you need. So, a gig would be overkill for 4 gigs+ of RAM.

Can someone explain why that's not true? http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-swap-space.html
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 16th February 2010, 03:35 AM
trustnoone Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
I really like Fedora 12, albeit I've had quite a few problems but I am new to linux so I kind of expected that. It's been pretty great so far I've tried a couple of different distro's but I keep coming back to Fedora.
An I just use easy life http://easylifeproject.org/ to install all the things I need like flash and DVD codecs and everything, works a charm
Old 16th February 2010, 03:40 AM
SwampKracker Offline

windows_7firefox
Being that swap has always been much, much slower than RAM, any use of swap is less than ideal. Why a modern OS doesn't disable swap given adequate system RAM is puzzling.
Old 16th February 2010, 04:46 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I don't know. I have a lot of space to experiment with and I was only following the suggested swap from the official documents. But 16 gigs of swap does seem a little much even for 8 gigs of ram. 8 gigs is totally overkill for most apps unless I'm just rendering some massive thing in blender. I've checked the system to see how much swap is actually being used. I've only seen 1.5 gigs of that 16 being used. (Currently, it is hardly even being touched)

I also thought setting aside 500 megs for boot was a little overkill but now I hear F13 is going need that. I'm still getting my "sea legs" too.

When the system is in Power Management mode, I have it set to suspend to disk. Is it using swap for that? Suspending to disk sure works better than Suspending to Ram.

Last edited by steelaworkn; 16th February 2010 at 04:48 AM.