Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Suggestions & Feedback Have suggestions, feedback or just plain questions regarding FedoraForum.org? Post them here. (We reserve the right to poke fun at you or just ignore them).

Old 15th February 2010, 06:16 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
No Flashing Light?

where's this flashing light? i see none
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 15_02_2010 , 5_15_25 PM.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	19060  
Old 15th February 2010, 06:36 AM
JEO Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Do you have animated GIFs turned off? I see it to the left of Fedora Set-up Guides in F11, Firefox 3.5.6
Old 15th February 2010, 06:44 AM
Demz

windows_7firefox
JEO

i used Adblock to block it as it was annoying.

apart from that the New Fedora Setup guide is Good, but why have it for different releases? wouldnt it be easier to have it for 1 release only , IMO when F11 goes EOL then those have to be Edited out, just gonna be to much work, plus i dont think there's much differents on F11 an F12 guides
Old 15th February 2010, 12:05 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
Greg, I did the page and can tell you it's NO big deal to switch links. Just edit the number, then copy/paste in the link. Total time < 5 minutes. And, the reason for the two sections is that BOTH are supported versions of Fedora. If you're a new user on his first day, you'll need the clearest directions possible.

As to the flashing light...it should be working for those who need it. We've got it confirmed in Safari, IE8 & below, Firefox, Opera & Konqueror. Anyhow, it's there as an eye-catcher for anyone who can see it. Naturally, you aren't going to need the alert anyway as you already know those links and many more by heart.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 15th February 2010, 01:18 PM
JONOR Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
On the theme of helping guide beginners i notice on ubuntuforums.org a highly conspicuous category for absolute beginners.
A category entitled Absolute Beginners, perhaps between Rawhide and Installation Help might encourage newcomers more and also save the mods a lot of time tracking them down ?
Old 15th February 2010, 01:32 PM
bob Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Jonor, it's one solution, of course. However, when does one leave the "absolute beginners" Forum and how often would members take offense if their posts were moved there? Besides, we really don't suggest that Fedora's the right fit for Absolute Beginners.

We do have the "Forum Help" link and the "Read This First" sub-Forum for tutorials and assistance, although not for questions. We kinda hope that new users will actually READ and try the instructions.

Human nature is to panic when things bork and to scream for help, but you're far better off to settle down and try to work through issues with a decent Guide.

Old 16th February 2010, 07:18 PM
BandC Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I like the idea of an eye-catcher for new users but if I want to be honest about it I found the flashing light quite distracting while I'm browsing the forums. I know it's small but the flashing effect pulls my eye over there constantly (on the plus side that means that it works).

Can we do something conditional such as: show only for guests or show only for people less than X posts or whatever?
Old 16th February 2010, 07:55 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox
If you use the NoScript plugin for firefox, you can just right click on the flashing light and select block image.

Hope this helps,

Ky
Old 16th February 2010, 08:12 PM
bob Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Just an aside, but my original thought was to use a different color (light yellow) for the Fedora Set-Up Guides as an eye-catcher. However, I found that I would have had to create a separate "class" which might affect the whole Forum and not just those letters. If we had a 'test bed' for vBulletin to play around in, I'd have given it a shot, however when a bork might take out the entire LIVE Forum for a period of time, it didn't seem worthwhile.

Old 16th February 2010, 08:36 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
I see that the text "Fedora Set-Up Guides" on the Forum menu bar is now appearing in livid yellow (and italics), so Bob (or someone) must have figured that out, and now perhaps the blinkin' light can go. Quite frankly: it was meant to be eye-catching (even annoying) so as to draw attention to it, for the obvious reason.

V
Old 16th February 2010, 09:48 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox
It looks as if someone has taken the light down, as I don't see it now - did when I was logged on earlier - but I do see it in Dan's ' graphics ' section in albums, as I don't have adblock/noscript or similar installed.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:01 PM
Demz

windows_7firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the train View Post
It looks as if someone has taken the light down, as I don't see it now - did when I was logged on earlier - but I do see it in Dan's ' graphics ' section in albums, as I don't have adblock/noscript or similar installed.
your lucky, i dont even see Albums
Old 16th February 2010, 11:15 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
I see that the text "Fedora Set-Up Guides" on the Forum menu bar is now appearing in livid yellow (and italics), so Bob (or someone) must have figured that out, and now perhaps the blinkin' light can go. Quite frankly: it was meant to be eye-catching (even annoying) so as to draw attention to it, for the obvious reason.

V

It drove me away for a couple of day
Old 17th February 2010, 01:15 AM
bob Online

linuxfedorafirefox
We can thank Dan for that one. Looks lots better.

Old 17th February 2010, 02:31 AM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
It looks nice, yellow is nice. How about strobing red?

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core Duo 2.20 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F20 64bit using 3 320g HDs and dual monitors.