<---- template headericclude ----->
12, the fedora from hell
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12, the fedora from hell

I've been using fedora since core 2 and I must say that I have never had such a hard and frustrating time (core 4 came close).
    First, it was a slow internet connection because of ipv6
    Then it was update manager crashing and I could't do my updates.
    Then it was yum which I had to restart a few times and which had to go to mirror after mirror (pages of them). It took me a day to upgrade some 600 packages.
    Now I can't execute a simple yum command like:
    # yum list all>yumlistall
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-free. Please verify its path and try again
    Content of the yumlistall file:
    Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorl...a-12&arch=i386 error was
    14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - ""
    I guess I must be the only one having these problems.
    I was sure fedora 13 would be the unlucky one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I did upgrade from DVD I had grub problems. After fixing that there was to much broken that I did a fresh install from DVD and only had problems with network. Turning off NetworkManager and disabling IP6v fixed it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doing a fresh install from a DVD I got from OSDisc.com, which passed the test at the beginning of the install. Before that, I was on fedora 10, which was a pure marvel. I suppose that once I get all the bugs worked out, I will say the same thing about fedora 12.
    Are fedora having any server problems lately?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to reinstall FC12 3 or 4 times due to some specific issue. In the process I noticed one thing in particular: if I didn't select all but the "test" repo during the install (the default is just the first item in the list), FC12 would crash here and there and give me a variety of errors. It would tell me it needed to update something like 200 items and it would fail during the update or claim it couldn't resolve something.

Once I figured that out, it worked pretty smoothly.
    Mark Bratcher
    http://www.codekinesis.com

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to accept the rewriting of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I tried to add a repo during installation, it failed because of the wiifii.
    I'm going to try Ubuntu and see if it is easier to install and use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I south I've was the only-wan that have this problem,this will help me

Well now this is not a problem when the god guys have a new spin with almost all problem lost, and that help me even better.
    Then if you would you can have both, Ubuntu just for clicking and Fedora just for fun
    Last edited by Lammhult; 10th February 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: The god guys spin
    :) ”1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d” :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a preupgrade and haven't had a single problem.
    Registered Linux User #4837
    411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
    Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the absence of a response from the OP to my PM, and since I see no specific technical question being asked: moved to "Reviews, Rants, & Things That Make You Scream".

Good Luck,
    V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Chapelin

I'm going to try Ubuntu and see if it is easier to install and use.
    Hello S. Chapelin,

Of course do what you want, but what you've posted so far is not so bad, IMO. My list of routine "issues" with every new Fedora release is longer than yours here. I've just learned to expect them and somehow deal with them. But in the end Fedora is not for everyone. I don't even think that it is intended to be.

First, it was a slow internet connection because of ipv6
    The IPv6 thing with Firefox and Thunderbird has been around as an issue long before Fedora 12. That can be toggled off in Firefox and Thunderbird.

Then it was update manager crashing and I could't do my updates.
    You have a valid complaint there because it's been in the buzz lately. But I have never used those things (Yumex, PackageKit, whatever) before or now with Fedora 12. Plain old YUM is working okay as always for me.

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-free. Please verify its path and try again
    At first with Fedora 12, I also had that "Cannot retrieve repository metadata..." error with YUM. For me, it turned out to be a DNS resolution issue. It also affected wget. I added my ISP's nameservers to the NetworkManager panel applet, and that was over with. It's now just another thing added to my Fedora 12 installation notes.

When I tried to add a repo during installation, it failed because of the wiifii.
    Choosing additional repos during installation often causes people trouble. Frankly, I don't even see why it's there as an option. You've got to have supported hardware for that to work because it's a net install basically. And trying to install that way with a wifi connection could be considered a form of self-flagellation. Fedora has come a long way with wireless support, but not far enough for just anybody to try that.

Anyway, I use Ubuntu, too. I have very few issues with it on the same hardware with which I use Fedora. Ubuntu is okay, but I still prefer Fedora and use it for my work. I installed Ubuntu just to see what everybody was yacking about. I think you should try it.
    Last edited by stoat; 11th February 2010 at 01:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible that the RPM Fusion repository you're using was simply having problems when you tried to run the command. It's complaining about not being able to reach the rpmfusion server. Of course, RPM Fusion problems aren't really Fedora's problems...
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason that I moved from f10 directly to f12 is that I had tried f11, but had such a frustrating time of it that after getting no result on this forum and elsewhere I went back to that great f10. Thinking this is a lot of fun is for someone who likes his girlfriend to dress in leather and whip him every night.
    Also, moving my problems to this section is akin to Toyota moving the person who warned them of faulty pedals to the funny farm.
    There is a problem, and it will not be solved by ignoring it.
    Installing Ubuntu 9.10 took me exactly 22 minutes and it seems to be working great: no server problems, no update problems, great apps.
    Fedora used to be a young and peppy distro. Now it's just tired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, moving my problems to this section is akin to Toyota moving the person who warned them of faulty pedals to the funny farm.
    That analogy would hold only if we were in fact "Toyota" (i.e.: the Fedora Project) itself. As you can see at the bottom of every page: "FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc." Therefore, as has been repeatedly pointed out ad nauseum elsewhere, we (the FedoraForum.Org and members, including Staff) cannot "fix" anything, since we do not control the Fedora Project. You can provide your feedback directly to the Fedora Project by using the "Fedora Project Jump" feature at the top of each page here (see: "Communicate" and/or "Bugzilla").

Also: you were afforded the opportunity to provide feedback as to the thread title and/or location, but failed to respond to my PM (Private Message) within a reasonable time (in fact: at all). In the absence of a response, I took action as per the Forum Posting Rules and my responsibilities to enforce them.

While we here can understand, and tolerate, a limited amount of frustration with the "cutting edge" software that is Fedora, directing ill feelings towards any members will usually result in the same outcome: ill-will in kind, or at the very least an aversion to assist. So far: no line has been crossed (IMO), and please do not misunderstand my remarks - they are meant only to clarify the overall situation.

I regret that your experience with Fedora was unsatisfactory, and wish you the best with Ubungtu (or whatever else you choose to use).

V