Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th February 2010, 05:21 PM
demonlordbrad Offline

windows_7firefox
Question Dual booting Fedora 12

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Fedora, I've used it once and decided to experiment with new operating systems a little bit. The issue is that I don't want to get rid of windows 7 and all the files I already have on my computer. I have already ran through the installation process, all seemed to go well, but I don't happen to have a dual boot loader up, my computer just boots to 7 like nothing ever happened. When I ran through the installation I have two hard drives, I leave windows on the 1TB, and I want to run occasionally different ones on the 100GB, I installed Fedora so it completely takes over the 100GB. My theory is that it just didn't install a boot loader like GRUB or something of the sort because I told it to take over the hard drive, if this is the case can someone tell me how to install one manually, if it is not can someone tell me how to make it so Fedora dual boots normally?
Old 7th February 2010, 05:32 PM
mbratch Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
During the installation, it should have given you the option to put the bootloader in.

Boot the Fedora install CD and go into "recovery" mode. In that mode, you should be able to manually install grub, e.g., /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to accept the rewriting of it.
Old 7th February 2010, 05:37 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Back up all important Windows data. Boot with the Fedora install DVD and select Rescue Mode. Step through the process until you reach the command line. At that point you type
Code:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
If there are no errors reported (there shouldn't be) type exit twice to reboot. You should be greeted with a boot menu with Fedora and Other as your only 2 choices.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Tags
boot, dual, dual-boot, windows 7