Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th February 2010, 01:02 AM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Intel cpu microcode update...delay

I have an Acer Aspire One and have noticed a very long delay in boot up because of "intel cpu microcode update" so I removed the microcode package and boot times are much faster now. Hopefully the removal doesn't cause a problem. The AAO has Intel Atom cpu so don't know if the microcode update even pertains to it? Any Ideas?

EDIT: went to Intel site and see that it is valid to use for Intel Atom but why the long delay is puzzling maybe something to do with debugging so I better reinstall or maybe just wait to see if it breaks.

Last edited by ryptyde; 6th February 2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: found intel info
Old 6th February 2010, 05:03 AM
Jaguar07 Offline

linuxfedoramozilla
Microcode Delay

All of the Intel systems I have tested F13 on, that have the current updates have been impacted by the Microcode delay.

My most recent system
Old 8th February 2010, 03:30 PM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar07 View Post
All of the Intel systems I have tested F13 on, that have the current updates have been impacted by the Microcode delay.
I see with the 2.6.33-0.40.rc7.git0.fc13.i686 kernel that the microcode delay has been eliminated and my boot time to login is now about 45 seconds instead of 3.5 minutes.
Old 8th February 2010, 03:32 PM
kyryder

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryptyde View Post
i see with the 2.6.33-0.40.rc7.git0.fc13.i686 kernel that the microcode delay has been eliminated and my boot time to login is now about 45 seconds instead of 3.5 minutes.
+1..............
Old 9th February 2010, 02:48 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
yes. It's actually a udev bug and will be properly fixed in a later udev release, but for now it's worked around in kernel -40 and later.
http://www.happyassassin.net

Tags
cpu, intel, microcode, updatedelay