Toshiba Laptop with NVIDIA
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toshiba Laptop with NVIDIA

I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6030 ( http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0326047 ). It's a screaming machine with NVIDIA video and i7 processor. However, I'd really like to install F12 as a dual boot on the free disk space.

I tried the live iso disk. The "automatic boot" countdown completes and Fedora begins to load. The screen goes blank (NVIDIA problem I believe) and that's it. I know F12 will operate on the machine once installed with kmod-nvidia, however, how to get it in the machine is the problem.

I installed F12 within "Microsoft Virtual PC 2007" running on Windows 7. It has some limited functionality and is understandably a bit slow, but does indeed work.

I appreciate advice and suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try giving it the boot-option: linux vesa
    "Take me home, United Road; To the place I belong; To Old Trafford, To see United; Take me home, United Road."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I do and see with Fedora12 64bit:
    I boot from the live iso disk, At countdown, I press <enter>. At the F12 welcome screen, I press <tab> and see:
    vmlinuz0 initrd=initrd0.img root=liveDLABEL=Fedora-12-i686-Live-KDE rootfs type=auto ro liveimg quiet rhgb rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD noiswmd

I added: nomodeset xdriver=vesa vga=ask

to the end of the boot options line. The machine will now start to boot as normal with video. The boot proceeds to the point where the desktop would normally appear and then stalls.

I tried Kubuntu 32bit and Ubuntu 64bit installs. Both load and install without difficulty.
    * However, I receive: "USB device not accepting address... ERROR 110, so no USB ports work.
    * Ethernet works but no wifi. I installed the linux Realtek 64bit driver rtl8192se recommended for the 8172 device. The wifi adapter is now seen with ifconfig, lshw -C network and network manager, but it still doesn't function.
    * I install the NVIDIA drivers and reboot. During boot, I receive messages saying that the system is unable to communicate with the NVIDIA card. I remove xorg.conf and all boots fine, but with no NVIDIA.
    * The internal camera doesn't fucntion under Ubuntu.

I would prefer to install Fedora if I could get the system to load to the desktop and install.

I installed Fedora on a desktop about a year ago. It works perfectly and is nearly maintenance free. Absolutely perfect system. I also installed Fedora12 (with no difficulties) on a lower grade Toshiba laptop and also an older Gateway laptop with the same stability, speed and reliability as the desktop.

I am aware that the newest machines hardware may not yet be well supported by the Linux community, but I've found there is always a way to get things done.

Again, I certainly appreciate any assistance or advice.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a llok at the nvidia thread in my signature. There are additional steps required to get the nvidia drivers working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you OZJD. Very detailed thread you have. Most of your instruction I recall doing on my desktop to have NVIDIA function well. In my present case, I'm still unable to boot fully to a desktop from a Fedora 12 64bit live image in order to have an NVIDIA setup issue. Ubuntu is slightly different than Fedora, so I'll be patient for possible suggestions to successfully install F12. As for Ubuntu and NVIDIA, I installed the 185 package instead of the 173 listed in your thread. I believe the nouveau blacklist adjustment would make the Ubuntu NVIDIA work in my case. I'm not so interested in that since Ubuntu is only a test for me. I still await having F12 working.
    Thank you again.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM CST ----------

Is there a way to control or see what's happening during boot of an F12 64bit live image? There are no logs and <ESC> doesn't allow a term window to view progress. How can I determine where a problem is or what causes the boot to stall just prior to when the desktop would normally appear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTrip
    Is there a way to control or see what's happening during boot of an F12 64bit live image? There are no logs and <ESC> doesn't allow a term window to view progress. How can I determine where a problem is or what causes the boot to stall just prior to when the desktop would normally appear?
    Editing the kernel line to remove rhgb and quiet will show you the full boot process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removing rhgb and quiet did allow all text to be seen during boot. All went well past HAL and a bit beyond until the screen goes blank and boot stalls just about the time the desktop should be appearing. Any additional suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is a graphics problem adding xdriver=vesa to the kernel line will force it to use a generic driver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, but if you reading back toward the top of my thread, I'm using vesa. Anything else come to mind?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTrip
    Thank you, but if you reading back toward the top of my thread, I'm using vesa. Anything else come to mind?
    Doh! Sorry missed that.

Not too sure what else to try, you could try leaving out nomodeset.

Does the vga=ask work, I believe it should show you a list of options for various resolutions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Install success. Now, NVIDIA problem

I downloaded and used the full DVD version of F12 64bit. I used the basic video install. Everything installed well. There must be a difference between the full dvd limited video and using the "live iso" with "nomodeset xdriver=vesa vga=ask" picking 600x800x8 resolution.

Now I've installed kmod-nvidia as I've done with other machines easily with great success. However, with this laptop having:
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M with 512MB GDDR3 discrete graphics
    memory, plus up to 1755MB dynamically allocated shared graphics
    memory using NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology.
    o Total Available Graphics memory 2267MB

I've not had success. xorg.conf is present and was created by the kmod-nvidia install. The blacklist is present and correct. I boot into runlevel 3 and startx with these results:

NVIDIA could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (input/output error)
    The NVIDIA kernel module does not appear to be receiving interrupts generated by the NVIDIA graphics device

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of steps to installing the nvidia driver and all must be followed for it to work. See the nvidia thread in my signature. Plus there is an additional optional step of removing nouveau which is also mentioned there.

This how to is almost the same but has a couple of extra suggestions. - http://fedorasolved.org/video-soluti...idia-yum-kmod/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New tech

I've found that the NVIDIA card in this laptop is not supported within the UNIX/Linux community. I've also found that the USB ports, built in camera, realtek wireless and etc. are not supported. As much as I love the perfect world on my desktop computer with a K desktop in Linux, I realize that Microsoft and computer makers have a hand in hand relationship difficult to be broken without monetary reward with Microsoft.

Windows 7, NVIDIA, and this Toshiba A505-S6030 are an example of a manufacturer and Microsoft working together. This machine works as fast as any machine I've ever seen.

I called tech support with Toshiba prior to my purchase. They seemed unconcerned of anything unrelated to Windows. I suppose I could return this computer, but what would be my option?

What is needed for Linux developers to be hand-in-hand with manufactures is to be aware, informed and have the same opportunity to develop code as does Microsoft. Linux is MUCH more efficient and would give their (computer manufacturers) products such a greater representation and marketability. Just like our President and Microsoft today, what is popular and a star is not always best.

I don't completely understand who or what the developers are or how they acquire the information (as does Microsoft) from manufacturers to create drivers, but I am certainly wishing to help.

I feel this a battle that needs to be won within the Linux community. I have programming experience, have owned and was network engineer of an ISP as a BSDI and Red Hat of summit.net before "X" was more than a feeling. What can I do now?

Please pardon me if this is not the forum category to post this. I feel it directly related to my original post and all should know the battle between Linux developers and the giant money and it's developers that have "privilege" to new manufacturer's releases.

With any "encouragement", I'll return this computer to Toshiba. Also, with encouragement, I'll fight to achieve a better relationship and support to manufactures of UNIX/Linux.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I've found that the NVIDIA card in this laptop is not supported within the UNIX/Linux community. I've also found that the USB ports, built in camera, realtek wireless and etc. are not supported."

That sounds rather odd. Where exactly did you 'find' this?

Are you sure this may not be a case of:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...iommu-problems

?

"I don't completely understand who or what the developers are or how they acquire the information (as does Microsoft) from manufacturers to create drivers, but I am certainly wishing to help."

Microsoft rarely creates drivers. It ships some drivers provided directly by manufacturers in Windows releases; otherwise, manufacturers provide their own drivers when shipping the systems. So for Microsoft the relationship is the other way around; hardware manufacturers do not provide Microsoft with information so Microsoft can write a driver, Microsoft provides hardware manufacturers with Windows API documentation so hardware manufacturers can create drivers.

Some hardware manufacturers, such as Intel, provide their own drivers for Linux as well. Some provide documentation to Linux developers - usually simply via the lkml mailing list, sometimes via efforts like http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/foswiki/bin/view . Many simply don't bother, as they don't perceive it to be worth the effort (in financial or any other terms). Drivers for hardware from these manufacturers have to written from scratch.

Linux driver developers mostly work for hardware companies (Intel employs several people to work on Linux drivers; so do, for instance, NVIDIA and ATI) or distributors, mostly Red Hat and Novell.

"What can I do now?"

Write drivers, really. That's about it. There's plenty of people trying to persuade manufacturers to care more about Linux drivers, but as long as writing them requires a reasonable level of Linux-specific expertise (which it does) and the Linux userbase is vanishingly small (which for most consumer-level hardware it is), this is not likely to get very far.

As far as I can tell, the latest released NVIDIA driver indeed does not yet support the 3xx series. However, the latest beta - http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2178512 - is listed as supporting two variants of the 310. It's possible it may work for you.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA
    IRC: adamw | Fedora Chat: @adamwill:fedora.im
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rtl8192se 64bit kernel driver - wlan0 for the 8172 device

Thank you AdamW. This laptop was only just released during Jan 2010. I realize the driver problem issues, but it is most evident that most computer and hardware manufacturers sleep together with MS. However, on this computer, running a dual boot of Windows 7 and Fedora, at system idle with both systems fresh and nearly unaltered, Fedora uses only about 10% of the total systems resources that Windows 7 does.

I've decided to postpone additional attempts to install NVIDIA drivers. I currently use vesa @ 1360x768 and will pursue the wifi adapter, the next issue of priority.

-------------------------------------

I've downloaded from Realtek and installed the linux kernel driver (rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1020.2009_64bit) I found to be recommended for the 8172 wifi device. I rebooted and find the following:

# cnetworkmanager -d
    Interface | Type | State
    ----------+----------+-------------
    eth0 | ETHERNET | ACTIVATED
    wlan0 | WIRELESS | DISCONNECTED

------

# ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:6C:3E:83:41
    inet addr:192.168.1.5 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::226:6cff:fe3e:8341/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:4294 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:3288 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:4146367 (3.9 MiB) TX bytes:582128 (568.4 KiB)
    Interrupt:35 Base address:0x4000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:1308 (1.2 KiB) TX bytes:1308 (1.2 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 70:1A:04:B0:97:59
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:10 Memory:ffffc90005188000-ffffc90005188100

----

# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 802.11bgn Nickname:"rtl8191SEVA2"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.422 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:300 Mb/s
    Retry:on RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=10/100 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=-100 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

----

# lspci|grep controller
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak HECI Controller (rev 06)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0a75 (rev a2)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)
    04:00.0 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd Device e822 (rev 01)

----

# iwlist wlan0 scan
    wlan0 No scan results

(4 feet from a dlink g/n wireless router that connects perfectly on this machine while running Windows 7)

----

wlan0 now exists, but will not scan or connect. If I missed something or there are any additional suggestions or steps to cause success, I would greatly appreciate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast