Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd February 2010, 01:58 AM
mbrad Offline

windows_7ie
Very Basic System

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I'm looking on line for a bit of hardware that I just can't find. Even though I know NOTHING about making my own system from scratch, I thought it would be a good challenge to try.

Is it possible to strip down Fedora so that you only have enough to drive a wireless card, mother board, power supply, Firefox, memory, and perhaps a flash drive, not a hard drive? It would connect to a TV via HDMI, and the interface would be through Firefox. I suppose it would have to be able to be a web server of sorts to have a place to store settings.

If it is possible, where do I start?

Thanks again,

Brad
Old 2nd February 2010, 03:53 AM
ask4nutz Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
http://www.pc104.org/
http://www.pc104.com/

the basic board itself will allow flash memory to install linux and your other programs (look into the X-target feature of MATLAB) , as well as some USB ports for a mouse and keyboard, along with vga capability. im sure some of the stackable modules will allow support for a wireless card, and the dedicated 486 processor outperforms alot of pcs running today.

your project sounds cool, but expect some serious road blocks...these boards are awesome but come with just about NO documentation, however ull find a lot of support at the university research level. anyway...its a place to start.
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:07 AM
mbrad Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Thanks for the tips. Who knows how far I'll get. I guess if it was easy, everyone would be doin it.

Brad
Old 2nd February 2010, 03:32 PM
daniel_I_l Offline

windows_7safari
Wouldn't it be easier to use an old PC? I just installed DSL on a pentium2 with 32MB of memory and it runs apache, ssh, and flubox like a charm.
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:01 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrad View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I'm looking on line for a bit of hardware that I just can't find. Even though I know NOTHING about making my own system from scratch, I thought it would be a good challenge to try.

Is it possible to strip down Fedora so that you only have enough to drive a wireless card, mother board, power supply, Firefox, memory, and perhaps a flash drive, not a hard drive? It would connect to a TV via HDMI, and the interface would be through Firefox. I suppose it would have to be able to be a web server of sorts to have a place to store settings.

If it is possible, where do I start?

Thanks again,

Brad

I use a Xtreamer (it runs linux)

http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer/overview.aspx

I have added additional software to it i.e transmission for torrent downloads and openssh for access / maintenance.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:27 AM
mbrad Offline

windows_7ie
Hey that's great.

When I read the specs, I get the feeling that it will only work with sites like Youtube etc. I would like to go to any site and watch video content. For example, I could go to http://www.globaltv.com/entertainment/videos/index.html and watch past TV shows. I found this http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...ail&returnurl= but when I contacted Samsung, they said it can only go to sites like Youtube because of the special deal they have with Youtube and their player. The browser on the unit is not a full browser.

Quote:
Thank you for submitting your inquiry to Samsung.
No you can not use any other websites other than what are set on it.
This unit doesn't have browser inside, but has the capacity of live feed. Its a unique technology has been developed by Youtube.
Websites like CBC etc have their own way to broadcast their videos. They want people to come to their website to watch them. So they do not follow the same technology what youtube is using.
So I could connect the Xtreamer to my HD tv, and then browse anywhere on the internet and watch video?

Thanks again,

Brad

Tags
basic