Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th January 2010, 08:45 PM
techxi

linuxfedorafirefox
Get fc11, fc12 working first ?

I've been told that its "bleeding edge" so things don't have to work properly under many circumstances.

The question still begs to be asked though, why would anyone move to Fedora if basic things dont work in on OS version, before immediately moving to the next which is totally rewritten and introduces a new host of problems on previous ones which were not fixed?

The response to this has been "move to another distribution". Well Redhat is legally obligated to offer Linux to the community, in exchange for being able to sell RH enterprise edition for money.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:16 PM
leigh123linux

linuxfedorafirefox
Sorry I'm to busy working on my F13 packages to comment
Old 29th January 2010, 10:13 PM
Demz

windows_7firefox
F13 should be mostly stable as it should be based on what will be RHEL6 so this testing phase should be more stable than previous ones,
Old 29th January 2010, 10:20 PM
sexyb3rry

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Sorry I'm to busy working on my F13 packages to comment
SWEET

Everything works fine for me, you have listed no problems. Every OS has bugs, look at Ubuntu 9.10, so many users are still bitching about it
Old 29th January 2010, 11:40 PM
dmyersturnbull Offline

linuxfedoramozilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by techxi View Post
why would anyone move to Fedora if basic things dont work in on OS version, before immediately moving to the next which is totally rewritten and introduces a new host of problems on previous ones which were not fixed?
Because new features are cool. Having delved in software development before and remaining an engineer-at-heart, the idea of bleeding edge software excites me. I'm a geek in that way. I don't mind if things break sometimes because I 1) get to try cool new features, 2) am experienced enough to solve issues I encounter (and, amazingly, still have the time!), and 3) like to submit bug reports to support the community. That third one is important for me. Developers can't fix bugs unless they find them.

And, honestly, I remember first trying Fedora and being surprised at its stability given its philosophy. I moved from Debian and Windows, and really—Fedora breaks less.
Old 30th January 2010, 12:28 AM
Jake Offline

linuxsafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by techxi View Post
I've been told that its "bleeding edge" so things don't have to work properly under many circumstances.

The question still begs to be asked though, why would anyone move to Fedora if basic things dont work in on OS version, before immediately moving to the next which is totally rewritten and introduces a new host of problems on previous ones which were not fixed?

The response to this has been "move to another distribution". Well Redhat is legally obligated to offer Linux to the community, in exchange for being able to sell RH enterprise edition for money.
Well, the difference is, most Fedora users, know how to "fix" the issues them selves, where as certain other distribution users, panic and go crying if anything breaks

Reason Fedora users know how to fix them, is mostly because, well, they got used to it

Redhat does not *have* to provide Fedora, under the GPL, they only thing they have to do is provide sources to customers at their request. However, Redhat choose to provide their RHEL sources publicly (And thus we get stuff like CentOS). They actually don't need to though.

They could easily turn around and say "If you are a paying customer, we will give you the sources, if not, we won't"

Redhat use Fedora, as a test-os, so it's going to be buggy. A lot of issues are normally configuration problems, others, are simply broken. As long as an issue is put in the Bugzilla, it should get fixed (Eventually)

As for Fedora not being usable, that's simply wrong, My Fedora 12, runs perfectly, has a few hiccups here and there, but easily fixed
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 4th February 2010, 12:10 PM
hephasteus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Nothing like a few good black screen crisis or hey where's my login crisis to get you to start poking under the hood and seeing how it all works together. There is some valid legitimate pain involved in many things. Just don't confuse good pain from bad pain.
Old 5th February 2010, 04:42 AM
jfprieur Offline

windows_vistasafari
F11 and F12 work exactly as advertised and we have no problems using them in our research lab, in fact we have been extremely pleased with the performance. If you think Fedora should be used in production environments were stability, especially after patching, is paramount, you have the wrong idea as to what Fedora is and is not.
Old 5th February 2010, 08:30 AM
mh3rn4nd3z3

linuxfedorafirefox
Funny.
Fedora has always worked fine for me.
Old 6th February 2010, 02:44 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
We are the guinea pig to make Fedora/Red Hat a better product. Just report all the bugs to bugzilla.

Tags
fc11, fc12, working