FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SD CA USA
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question GDM login on wrong Monitor

    Ok I have 2 monitor on and Nvidia FX5200 set up as twinview

    Monitor 1 is an old Sony CRT @ 1280x1024
    Monitor 2 is a Visio HDTV @1920x1080

    I have setup Monitor 1 to be the primary using nvidia-settings but the GDM login keeps sowing up in the second monitor ; before the HDTV I had a CRT TV @ 1024x768 and all was good.

    My theory is that GDM determines the center of the Screen (both monitors together) and then centers on that monitor.

    If this is true then how may I override this behavior and force the GDM login to show on my primary monitor?

    Any help is appreciated

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, on my machine the default appears to be chosen by which monitor is plugged into port 0 on my video card.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SD CA USA
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the monitor port 0 a larger resolution than the one in port 1 ?

    Then how do I know which is port0,1,2,4 DVI-A,DVI-D,S-video,VGA ???

    I'm currently using DVI-A a.k.a. DVI->adapter->VGA for my HDTV and the VGA to my Sony CRT

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    xrandr --auto --output VGA-0 --mode 1680x1050 --right-of LVDS
    xrandr --auto --output VGA-0 --mode 1680x1050 --left-of LVDS
    Using xrandr (the same thing as using your video display GUI) you can change the position of the monitors.

    http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-set...ndr/2009/06/01
    http://en.opensuse.org/Multiple_Screens_Using_XRandR

    ---------- Post added at 08:35 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM CST ----------

    In the man pages there is also the option "primary"

    xrandr --output DVIA --primary

    Maybe it works I didn't try.

    ---------- Post added at 08:37 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM CST ----------

    And you can find a lot about your video settings using xrandr to query the system for you:

    xrandr
    xrandr -q
    xrandr --prop
    xrandr --verbose

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SD CA USA
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Solved

    Ok I physically reconnected my monitors to change their priority no success

    Now I found a SIMPLE was to get around this:

    Simply move your mouse to the monitor you want the GDM greeter to show and press Enter; IS THAT SIMPLE!!!
    SOLVED
    Last edited by NoOneElse; 6th February 2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: SOLVED

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GDM login on wrong Monitor

    Sorry to bring up an issue from an old thread, but How is this solved for you? I still have the same issue as is described in the OP; while, your "workaround" "works" when you want to use the lockscreen and re-enter the session, gdm by itself is still to dumb to know any better when switching users or when autologin is turned off. There are mentions of some other "workarounds" to move the file "~/.config/monitors.xml" to "/var/lib/gdm/.config/"; however, in fedora20 this has no effect.

    At first, I assumed that the file-ownership was the problem; so, I changed the permissions from "root:root" to "gdm:gdm". Once again, though, no difference in behavior. Has anyone else gotten this to work? How do I get gdm to stop choosing the external Monitor as the primary monitor and/or at least to stop using the second monitor altogether? Anyone? pleasseee!!!

    P.S. I see the variable "$GDM_PARENT_DISPLAY" repeatedly in the file at "/etc/gdm/Init/Default", but I have no clue what its exactly referring to?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GDM login on wrong Monitor

    I've "resolved" issue following some advice I found in the mailing-list (gdm-list?); namely, following the previously-mentioned resolution of copying monitors.xml file from "~/.config/monitors.xml" after I've turned off the second monitor. Once the second monitor is turned off in "Settings">>"Displays", the monitors.xml file is re-written to "~/.config/monitors.xml" to reflect the changed configuration. Then, copying over that file to "/var/lib/gdm/.config/" takes affect with gdm. Hope this helps someone else in this predicament.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ~
    Posts
    2,113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GDM login on wrong Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by ILMostro
    I've "resolved" issue following some advice I found in the mailing-list (gdm-list?); namely, following the previously-mentioned resolution of copying monitors.xml file from "~/.config/monitors.xml" after I've turned off the second monitor. Once the second monitor is turned off in "Settings">>"Displays", the monitors.xml file is re-written to "~/.config/monitors.xml" to reflect the changed configuration. Then, copying over that file to "/var/lib/gdm/.config/" takes affect with gdm. Hope this helps someone else in this predicament.
    Thanks, that worked great (with the Nvidia driver I couldn't get the old way with with xhost and control-center to work).
    Last edited by Dutchy; 11th October 2014 at 11:13 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Monitor type not detected: wrong resolution
    By hvniekerk in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th November 2008, 08:09 PM
  2. video monitor setting wrong
    By KaptinKid in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th May 2007, 04:01 PM
  3. Dual Monitor: Wrong default Monitor
    By kennyshell in forum Hardware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th November 2006, 07:06 AM
  4. Frequency of Monitor, wrong alignment
    By vbtricks in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd February 2005, 06:30 PM
  5. Ooops - chose wrong monitor!!
    By jacksmash in forum Hardware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th October 2004, 11:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •